So, people. Mosrite FUZZrite anyone?

Wulver

• Members

So, as my search for fuzz pedals continues, and I'm starting to expand my viewing horizon beyond the traditional fuzz face types, it occurs to me I don't see any conversation on here about this particular fuzz.

mosrite_fuzzrite_001.jpg

Mosrite Fuzzrite. apparently one of the earlier designs, apparently not commonly cloned in the current pedalbuilding environment. Not even entirely sure which bands used it and what it really sounds like.

So, perhaps a sort of communal learning session is in order here? What info is there to be had on this particular pedal?

• Members

I used to have the Fuzzbrite. And yes they do sound thin. The enclosure is way too big for what's inside IMO. It has very few sweet spots.

But it looks like they're pretty authentic sounding. Another good thing is that they are very low noise.

• Members

i've tried one...very bright + very compressed = not my thing.

about the only reason i considered getting it was because it was back when i was messing with the idea of having an auerbach-esque fuzz collection

• Members

The word "thin" should never be used to describe the sound of a Fuzzrite.

:cop:

Check out the tonefrenzy website. I think there is a demo clip of the fuzzrite (among many other pedals) that actually does it some justice if I recall. Anyway, I have a 68 version and it's by far my favorite fuzz.

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/mosrite_fuzz_rite.html

Also, beware of fuzzrites on ebay. I've seen sellers patching parts together and selling them as "original." They might be fine fuzzes to have but should not have a huge price tag.

• Members

i had one on breadboard a few years ago.

As i remember it used odd value pots. I seem to remember a 300K pot, which is not a common value. The gain pot configuration works very differently than most other fuzzes, although i think that is actually the reason that it sounds like {censored}.

Obviously i can't speak for the original, as i've never tried one. The one I had on breadboard was not something I really liked though.

• Members

Brad over at Creepy Fingers does a germanium version of the fuzzrite (called the fuzzfight).

I'm really digging the doomidrive I got from him, I'm thinking a fuzzfight might be next.

+1 on Creepy Fingers!

Our bass player uses a Sugar Boost prototype that our drummer got from Brad when his last band was on tour with Fu Manchu.

Love his stuff.

• Members

I made a clone of the germanium version, sounded really buzzy with humbuckers, sort of like the start of Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum, i really like it but it might not be for everyone.

An interesting thing about the Fuzzrite is that the fuzz knob kind of blends in your clean sound with the fuzz so you can get some really unique sounds.

Archived