foot controlled sampler

Mikoo69

• Members

i need something to trigger samples live in my band, and as a guitar player id like control at my feet.

ideally what i need is something that i can pull up a bank and trigger 3-4 different samples in a song...sometimes it will be just one sample per song, sometimes more.

i am wondering what my options are here

i can either run it into my guitar amp or direct into the PA. all the samples will be pre-recorded from our record album and dumped onto the sampler.

• Members

You could use a RC-2 in theory. You could store samples in each of the banks, set them to "One Shot" mode. You'd have to plan well in advance. It'd start at 1, then every time you hit the foot switch it'd trigger the sample. If you hook up an FS5-U (whatever one is the dual version of that) the second switch will trigger the next sequence stored, so #2, which you could trigger multiple times, then switch to #3, etc. You can't go back to #1 with just the footswitch though, you have to go forwards only.

But it could be done.

• Members

this.

I've always wanted to get a midi organ footpedal, and connect it to a synth and play synth while playing guitar.

Apparently Adrian Utley of Portishead does this.

As does Adam Jones of Tool.

The SP-444 is your best bet. With one of these connected:

http://www.peak2005.com/i/product_info.php/products_id/47

Thats what I plan to do within the year. Load the samples in the Roland via USB, and trigger them on the floor.

• Members

As does Adam Jones of Tool.

The SP-444 is your best bet. With one of these connected:

Thats what I plan to do within the year. Load the samples in the Roland via USB, and trigger them on the floor.

careful though, I don't think the 404 has usb. I got the 555 and the usb makes it really easy to load wav files from my computer, but it's gonna be tough if the 404 doesnt have that.

• Members

a laptop is a possibility.

i could use my laptop with a midi controller like this one http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=55&ParentId=52

my question then is it possible for my bassplayer to hook up a midi keyboard as well into the interface so that he can play his keyboard parts simultaneously. that would be 2 midi controllers, one laptop, one interface.

what interface would let me pull this off?

further, can i also run the vocals and vocal effects through this interface and control them via my midi board? i think mainstage would be appropriate for this?

• Members

careful though, I don't think the 404 has usb. I got the 555 and the usb makes it really easy to load wav files from my computer, but it's gonna be tough if the 404 doesnt have that.

Ahhh right, yeah. 555 is the one for me. :D

• Members

Yea it has a midi in, so it just depends on the footswitch you get, you can assign buttons to midi notes which are pads that trigger the samples. Looks like the 404 just accepts Mic 1/4 input. I bet you could plug a guitar directly in but I don't think it's meant for that like the 555

• Members

a laptop is a possibility.

i could use my laptop with a midi controller like this one

my question then is it possible for my bassplayer to hook up a midi keyboard as well into the interface so that he can play his keyboard parts simultaneously. that would be 2 midi controllers, one laptop, one interface.

what interface would let me pull this off?

further, can i also run the vocals and vocal effects through this interface and control them via my midi board? i think mainstage would be appropriate for this?

You probably Could do this, but if you don't have one helluva fast computer, latency may be an issue. Also, if the laptop goes down, you lose 2 instruments instead of just 1.

• Members

And if you are considering Main Stage, perhaps you should look into using that as your guitar rig; and instead of manually triggering samples, you would be able to have a backing track played from the app and also have your effects changes automated. That would leave you freedom to move about your stage as you please, though your band would also have with become very comfortable to playing off a click.

• Members

The 404 is stupidly easy to load samples from a computer. And any midi pedal will work with it.

• Members

now im thinking just a boss RC-50 as it could let the samples come out of my guitar amp (they are all guitar based anyway) and also give me the ability to do looping. seems like its less trouble than all this midi PA business.

hows the RC-50 as a sampler? how many samples can i trigger at once? are the switches on/off meaning if i have a sample i want to turn on and turn it off by hitting the same pedal. then turn it back on...

Archived