Diamond Compressor vs Barber Tone Press

nomenclature

• Members

So I think I want a compressor to liven up my cleans a bit... The Diamond and the Barber seem to get the most props around here (there's been a few compressor threads lately that I've seen), but has anyone compared the two? I'm trying to figure out which one of these two would be best for me, but of course there's no place around that carries either so I can't test them out, it's a pure blind buy...

Of the two, which one and why (and have you actually a/b'd them for comparison)?

• Members

I LOVE Barber pedals to death.

That said, Diamond pedals are just exceptional.

While I haven't played the Diamond, the tilt EQ is a great idea, and to my knowledge no other compressor uses opto compression.

If I recall, the Diamond will be more polite, the Barber will give more "squish."

• Members

i've owned both along with a keeley, a modded boss, and a buddy owns the wampler

that said, they're both great...the blend on the barber is just as useful as the eq on the diamond. the barber is more squishy than the diamond, but the barber does have a presence pot inside which could help you like the diamond's eq. there are other opto comps out there, the diamond just uses a lot better components and you can hardly tell is ever on (mine stays on always).

i suppose it depends on the sound you're using it for and what kind of guitar you're running into it. hope that helps.

• Members

duh, for some reason I didn't see that other thread... anyways, I have a pretty kickass EQ already (empress paraeq), so maybe the diamond eq would be a little redundant? I mainly play a jazzmaster through a twin amp, but I have strats and LP copies as backups, and I eventually want to replace the twin with something still clean and sparkly but way smaller and lower wattage... maybe the barber would be better for me...

I just wish there were some dealers around here...

*{censored}, I forgot about the philosopher's tone, I kinda liked the sustain I heard in some demos... tough choice...

• Members

it is a tough one...notice that i'm selling my diamond and thinking of picking up a Wampler compressor, it's a ross style with a blend circuit...totally different monster than a barber or a keeley from what my ears told me.

damn, nice EQ choice! you might be right about the diamond then...i mainly play a tele into a fender and the combination can get pretty bright, i use the eq to dial that out sometimes.

good luck! :thu:

• Members

it is a tough one...notice that i'm selling my diamond and thinking of picking up a Wampler compressor, it's a ross style with a blend circuit...totally different monster than a barber or a keeley from what my ears told me.

damn, nice EQ choice! you might be right about the diamond then...i mainly play a tele into a fender and the combination can get pretty bright, i use the eq to dial that out sometimes.

good luck!
:thu:

Tone press is a Dyna/Ross style compressor with a blend as well. More tweakability with the Wampler though.

Archived