Devo + Neil Young = WIN

cobalt-60

• Members

Not sure how well known this is, but I just saw it today and felt like sharing.

This starts out kinda cool, but just gets progressively more badass. Neil Young is coked out and pogoing all over the place, Mark Mothersbaugh's doing his creepy ass Booji Boy thing in a goddam crib screwing up all the lyrics, the other guys are all looking equally weird, and it culminates in a amazing noise jam.

Apparently Neil was obsessed with Devo for awhile, and wanted to tour with them as his band. My, God, that would have been awesome. Out of all the crazy {censored} he did then, why not that? He did however make, essentially, a feature length Devo music video called Human Highway, spending three mil of his own money. Kinda cool. This came from that period...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=740771

• Members

He did however make, essentially, a feature length Devo music video called Human Highway, spending three mil of his own money. Kinda cool. This came from that period...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=740771

Couldn't be further from the truth.

The movie's primary setting is the last day on Earth at a small gas station-diner in a fictional town located next to a nuclear power plant. The characters are diner employees and customers including Young Otto (Dean Stockwell) who has received ownership of the failing business by the Will of his recently deceased father. One employee, Lionel Switch (Neil Young) is the garage's goofy and bumbling auto mechanic who dreams of being a rock star. "I can do it!" he often exclaims. After some modest character development and a collage-like dream sequence the story ends with a tongue-in-cheek choreographed musical finale while nuclear war begins.

Youtube use to have some of the videos from this movie but it looks like they removed them. :(

• Members

Not sure how well known this is, but I just saw it today and felt like sharing.

This starts out kinda cool, but just gets progressively more badass. Neil Young is coked out and pogoing all over the place, Mark Mothersbaugh's doing his creepy ass Booji Boy thing in a goddam crib screwing up all the lyrics, the other guys are all looking equally weird, and it culminates in a amazing noise jam.

Apparently Neil was obsessed with Devo for awhile, and wanted to tour with them as his band. My, God, that would have been awesome. Out of all the crazy {censored} he did then, why not that? He did however make, essentially, a feature length Devo music video called Human Highway, spending three mil of his own money. Kinda cool. This came from that period...

I'd heard stories about that video for years and finally get to see it. Thanks. Utterly crazed.

• Members

Listen to Trans by Neil Young, 1984 IIRC.

Great album, though most NY fans hate it.

Very DEVO-esque.

i'm a huge NY fan and i love Trans.

i love the fact that when people get used to what he's doing he's switch it up and do something totally unexpected like an album filled with synths and vocoders.

and when his record company got pissed off with what he was doing and told him to "just make a rock and roll record" he went and made Everybody's Rockin' :D

Everybodysrockin.jpg

contrary old bastard :cop:

• Members

I love Neil. And Dennis Hopper and Russ Tamblyn. Devo's okay.

But Human Highway is an AWFUL, AWFUL movie. There's a reason it went unreleased for so long. There are a couple of high points in the film, namely Neil and Devo playing "Hey Hey, My My" and the whole cast jumping around on shovels dancing and singing "Worried Man"

Otherwise, it's so, so, so bad. I'm sure it'll come out on Archives Volume 3 or something, and I'll buy it, but...ugh. I sat through it once, and never again!

• Members

That was awesome. How have I gone all these years and not known that this existed? I've vaguely heard of Human Highway but had no idea about the Neil/Devo combo. Any other great pairings I should know about like maybe Dylan and the B-52's doing Rock Lobster?

I know, that's what I thought too, how the hell did I not see this before.

Hm. There is a team up of proto-ravers the Silver Apples with Jimi Hendrix playing Star Spangled Banner. Unfortunatley, the synth, which is awesome, mostly drowns out Hendrix's guitar.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived