Gibson Maestro Super Crunch OD-60 Review

• Members

Here's the product link:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Maestro/Accessories/SuperCrunchEffectsPedal/

Bought this off Amazon for $44 and although it took almost 9 days to get here (i.e. free shipping so they can take as long as they like) - it arrived today.

When I first opened the box - I was impressed because it also came with a 4 foot cable and a dedicated power supply. The pedal weighs heavy in your hand, feels strong, switch feels solid/sturdy. Great hammerite grey finish - good construction from all appearances - looking good boyz...

Then I plugged it in.

First of all let me say there is absolutely no clean headroom from this pedal. None. Zip. Even with the Drive knob all the way off - there is no clean signal at all. There IS however - lots of white noise!!! And the louder you turn up the volume knob - the louder the white noise is! The white noise starts at 1 and is there with you faithfully, and again, MUCH LOUDER as you slowly turn the Volume knob up. You white noise freaks will love this thing!

Now let's get to the aforementioned Drive knob... there is.... NO DRIVE :confused:

Let me be clear here so no one misunderstands - no matter what setting you have the Volume knob on, the level of drive, or in this case lets call it razor blades & glass cuz that's what it sounds like, doesn't change whatsoever.. I may have detected a very very slight tonal change - like from muddy to more muddy - but I can't be sure. What I am sure of is that the Drive knob doesn't add or subtract any more gain whatsoever..

Lastly - the lovely Tone knob. Here's where it gets even stranger. If you turn the Tone knob all the way to bass - it's like putting 2 or maybe 3 blankets over your amp. BUT - as you turn the Tone knob clockwise - the razor blades & glass effect gets more thick then almost nasally. And noticeably LOUDER almost like you'd expect the Drive knob to function.

This might just be - I'll have to check my notes - but this pedal just could possibly be the WORST POS I think I've ever purchased in my entire life. That alone makes this review worth writing.

Abbreviated review: Save your money even if you can buy one used for $10. It's not even worth that. Unless you're into fancy paperweights :evil:

Consider this a public service message :wave:

Gibson - stick to what you're best at and don't put Made in China on anything that comes to my door again! :mad:

• Members

http://www.daphon.com.cn/show_details.asp?id=217

Buy a cheap existing design from a Chinese manufacturer, have them slap your name (or in this case, a brand name you've bought earlier) on it and sell it as the latest new invention...

Even when working right it's probably crap :D, but it definitely sounds like yours is broken. It could be debated wether it'd be worth the effort, but you could probably send it back for a replacement.

/Andreas

• Members

http://www.daphon.com.cn/show_details.asp?id=217

Buy a cheap existing design from a Chinese manufacturer, have them slap your name (or in this case, a brand name you've bought earlier) on it and sell it as the latest new invention...

Even when working right it's probably crap
:D
, but it definitely sounds like yours is broken. It could be debated wether it'd be worth the effort, but you could probably send it back for a replacement.

/Andreas

:lol: I think it works the way it's supposed to. Badly. :lol:

• Members

Would read again.

srsly, Rev. thats the same generic body as the..damnit, cant recall..

those are like MIC...dont buy that stuff for more than a couple of beers.

I know I know... but think about the Boss DS-1 here - about the same price so I had hoped minimally it would be usable - I was mistaken. Obviously.

The Boss DS-1 kicks this things ass. Stock! :eek:

:evil:

Last bump and since I don't get the "isn't there any pedal you don't like Rev" question anymore - we'll just let this sink back into oblivion. Just trying to save some of the younger guys some moola here.

Rock on Sief! :wave:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

IMHO...the Maestro OD-60 is a pretty good pedal. It's basically just another imitation of the old Ibanez TS-808/TS-9 Tube Screamers, the circuit is similar and the OD-60 actually does use the same original JRC4558 chip that the old Screamers used, rather than the TA75558 chip that the newer TS-9's use.

While maybe not for everybody, this pedal works well enough for me. I own both an OD-60 and a TS-9 and to be perfectly honest, when put either in front of my Orange Rocker, I actually like the sound of the OD-60 better.

...and the OD-60 was $65 cheaper. :)

Archived