Gibson Maestro Super Crunch OD-60 Review

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Maestro Super Crunch OD-60 Review

Here's the product link:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Maestro/Accessories/SuperCrunchEffectsPedal/

Bought this off Amazon for $44 and although it took almost 9 days to get here (i.e. free shipping so they can take as long as they like) - it arrived today.

When I first opened the box - I was impressed because it also came with a 4 foot cable and a dedicated power supply. The pedal weighs heavy in your hand, feels strong, switch feels solid/sturdy. Great hammerite grey finish - good construction from all appearances - looking good boyz...

Then I plugged it in.

First of all let me say there is absolutely no clean headroom from this pedal. None. Zip. Even with the Drive knob all the way off - there is no clean signal at all. There IS however - lots of white noise!!! And the louder you turn up the volume knob - the louder the white noise is! The white noise starts at 1 and is there with you faithfully, and again, MUCH LOUDER as you slowly turn the Volume knob up. You white noise freaks will love this thing!

Now let's get to the aforementioned Drive knob... there is.... NO DRIVE

Let me be clear here so no one misunderstands - no matter what setting you have the Volume knob on, the level of drive, or in this case lets call it razor blades & glass cuz that's what it sounds like, doesn't change whatsoever.. I may have detected a very very slight tonal change - like from muddy to more muddy - but I can't be sure. What I am sure of is that the Drive knob doesn't add or subtract any more gain whatsoever..

Lastly - the lovely Tone knob. Here's where it gets even stranger. If you turn the Tone knob all the way to bass - it's like putting 2 or maybe 3 blankets over your amp. BUT - as you turn the Tone knob clockwise - the razor blades & glass effect gets more thick then almost nasally. And noticeably LOUDER almost like you'd expect the Drive knob to function.

This might just be - I'll have to check my notes - but this pedal just could possibly be the WORST POS I think I've ever purchased in my entire life. That alone makes this review worth writing.

Abbreviated review: Save your money even if you can buy one used for $10. It's not even worth that. Unless you're into fancy paperweights

Consider this a public service message

Gibson - stick to what you're best at and don't put Made in China on anything that comes to my door again!
    http://www.rivercityrockets.com

A+, Great review.
    Stratocaster - Drag'n'fly - Meathead - MGMV - Faustone Valve Klipper - DMM - LFLJ -Mesa MK IV/73 Hiwatt

PM me for a list of good deals on here and on other forums.

Comment

sounds like you got a dud?
      MY MUSIC! Cosmonaut Cabrera

Current gear: FV Stevens electric (Manilas finest!), Fender Mustang 1, Line6 pocket pod and an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric

2/23/2010 - Never Forget

Comment

great review/warning, it sounds like the only thing worse than the noise coming out of the pedal is the description from gibson. that thing reads like ... words fail me

{O,O}
        (__(\
        " "

Comment

http://www.daphon.com.cn/show_details.asp?id=217

Buy a cheap existing design from a Chinese manufacturer, have them slap your name (or in this case, a brand name you've bought earlier) on it and sell it as the latest new invention...

Even when working right it's probably crap , but it definitely sounds like yours is broken. It could be debated wether it'd be worth the effort, but you could probably send it back for a replacement.

/Andreas
          The Power List

Comment

http://www.daphon.com.cn/show_details.asp?id=217

Buy a cheap existing design from a Chinese manufacturer, have them slap your name (or in this case, a brand name you've bought earlier) on it and sell it as the latest new invention...

Even when working right it's probably crap , but it definitely sounds like yours is broken. It could be debated wether it'd be worth the effort, but you could probably send it back for a replacement.

/Andreas

I think it works the way it's supposed to. Badly.

Comment

A+, Great review.

Would read again.

srsly, Rev. thats the same generic body as the..damnit, cant recall..

those are like MIC...dont buy that stuff for more than a couple of beers.
              OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

Would read again.

srsly, Rev. thats the same generic body as the..damnit, cant recall..

those are like MIC...dont buy that stuff for more than a couple of beers.

I know I know... but think about the Boss DS-1 here - about the same price so I had hoped minimally it would be usable - I was mistaken. Obviously.

The Boss DS-1 kicks this things ass. Stock!

Last bump and since I don't get the "isn't there any pedal you don't like Rev" question anymore - we'll just let this sink back into oblivion. Just trying to save some of the younger guys some moola here.

Rock on Sief!

Comment

yes sir, rev..preach on then
                  OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

thanks for the warning. but that looks virtually identical to the cheap Daphon pedals kicking around for peanuts.. i'm staying well clear.
                    Youtube Pedal Vids
                    For Sale: (including special delivery in UK)
                    ToneFactor Nebular - £40
                    Line 6 RotoMachine - £46
                    Good deals: Sikor, daysofspeed, joeyowen, melx, WAWbanks, Vince, woolyh, HeartfeltDawn, messiah, T3, dangerous dan, starsteam, Netstar, gae86, theboywho, Mike_Muse_Rage, SG-1, kpd78, AJ Nash, Vintage_freak, percyexpat

Comment

Sounds like the old Sabine NexFx Overdrive. You turn the knobs, and they do something, though not really what they're supposed to do, and you wish they'd stop doing it as soon as possible.
                      Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

what's happening to Gibson? they have made some weird decisions recently.

Comment

but wait, there's more!

Originally Posted by Naterel

Dear Liev,

I went to see Richard The Third starring Kevin Spacey at the BAM theater last night and you were there, I waved and said I loved you in Phantoms. You did not wave back or acknowledge me, I thought we were homeboys but I guess not. Also you're much shorter in person.

Love

Natty

Comment

Looks like the Analogman delay too!

((( KoskineN )))

Fender '52 Hotrod AVRI Telecaster
                            Fender '62 AVRI Jazzmaster
                            Fender Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar
                            Fender EJ Stratocaster
                            Fender CIJ '69 Competition Mustang
                            Gibson Les Paul R7
                            Gibson ES-339
                            Gibson SG '67 Special RI GOTW
                            PRS McCarty
                            Larrivée LV-03RE

Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo + Mesa 2x12 cab
                            Dr.Z Maz 18 NR 2x10 combo
                            Orange Rocker 30 head
                            '79 Fender Champ

Too many pedals...

Comment

yeh looks like a daphon to me...
                              Good deals with: MaximusBassMan, Cirrus, magnum pi

Comment

Working...
                              X