Dodge Challenger vs. Plymouth Barracuda

Definitely the 'Cuda. Hemi please. My uncle used to have one - that thing was unbelievably fast. As was a buddy's B Body Charger R/T. I have good memories of both.

I used to have a Duster. It looked a lot like this -

71duster.jpg

It wasn't much in the curves, but it was quick in a straight line. But it was a cold blooded beast. It took forever to warm up in the winter, and if you tried to take off too soon, it would stall. I was making a left (with a green arrow) one afternoon, and some lady in a Prelude ran the red and hit me at about 50 MPH. It was kinda like being on the Teacups at Disneyland... killed her Honda (she was OK), and did a number on the passenger side of the Duster. I have less than fond memories of that particular Mopar. OTOH, had the cars been reversed, and I had been in a Honda instead, I might not have survived, so I guess I owe it kinder thoughts than that. ;)

• Members

1973 was the year Mopar officially lost the magic. They are missing the style and most importantly that was the year the muscle became flab. The HEMI was killed.

Mopar heyday was short lived IMO. 1964 they started pushing the style envelope with the Barracuda (only to be overshadowed in sales, not look, by the Mustang)... This year also marked when they introduced the LA blocks, which shaved weight and made power. So the reign was from 1964-1972... 1966-1969 being my personal favorite period. These years have sexy lines on the outside and pure rock fury under the hood. 1970s marked a new breed in the Hemi Cuda etc. The lines are not as sexy, just looked more obviously ready for business.

Since I prefer the idea of actually driving my cars, I'd take a 66 Coronet, 67 Belvedere, 69 Superbee, and maybe a 69 Dart GTS over a Hemicuda... My woman wants a '69 Charger so she can have her deathproof. So in reality that is probably what I will get if I get a 3rd Mopar. :D

Archived