Boss Volume pedal vs. Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr. Which do you prefer?

butterknucket

• Members

i have both. love the boss for its reliability, the ernie ball for its not ugliness.

i now use the boss as an expression pedal for my spring chicken. works great, no popping noise and inaccuracy like i had with the moog expression pedal. i intend on replacing my volume pedal some time but i need to replace other things first.

• Members

I have a large original Ernie Ball vol pedal, the pot is dirty and It has no access hole (that I can find), to spray cleaner into. I just bought an old Boss vol pedal (old one), it has two ins and two outs, plus tuner out, and a minimun volume adjustment knob. I prefer the Boss, they truly are the most reliable pedals out there.

• Members

I bought the Boss FV-50L as my first volume pedal, and it's remained on my board pretty much ever since I put my board together. I bought an FV-500L which I like even better due to the extended sweep and aluminum construction, but it was only on my board a short time as space became a concern. The FV-50L went right back on.

It's plastic, and it's ugly, but it's been completely reliable, and it's gotten quite a bit of use. It was tossed around in a duffel bag for a year before I got a proper pedalboard spot for it, and still no problems. The pot is as clear as it was on the day I bought it...no scratchiness at all.

I can't discern any real tone coloration with it, it's got a fair amount of tension without being sticky or too loose, it's got a minimum volume knob that's out of the way, can be run in stereo rigs, and has a tuner out. It's also 14 oz.

• Members

i use the boss fv500h as an expression pedal for the m13

solid built, minimum volume, stereo ins/outs

cant comment on tone suck and i do think its a lil bigger than perhaps necessary...

but all in all as expression its wicked, good clean sweep, and tension adjustment via screw

• Members

A lot of love for the Boss here.

If you're putting the pedal before the effects, do you use a high impedance or low impedance volume pedal?

If the volume pedal is first after your guitar, you want the high impedance version.

If you're using it between pedals or at the end of your chain, get the "L" version.

Archived