Best distortion/fuzz for chords.

VertigoSwirl

• Members

Sup, guys. Long time amp-OD dude here looking to make the transition to pedals, I figured you guys might have some insight for me on this one.

Long story short, I've been looking at distortion/fuzz pedals for about a week now, and I LOVE the sound of the EHX Big Muff. Only problem is, it turns my chords to mush. On the other side of the spectrum is the Boss DS1 - very good note clarity but almost cold and clinical timbre-wise.

Basically, I need a pedal that somehow meets both halfway. I'm looking for a rich, full, warm fuzz sound, but I need something that really cuts and lets all of those notes in your open/barred chords shine clearly and brightly. I've heard the current EHX Muffs pale in comparison to the originals and some of the boutique models - could I see an improvement using one of the boutique modes?

Open to any and all suggestions!

• Members

Sup, guys. Long time amp-OD dude here looking to make the transition to pedals, I figured you guys might have some insight for me on this one.

Long story short, I've been looking at distortion/fuzz pedals for about a week now, and I LOVE the sound of the EHX Big Muff. Only problem is, it turns my chords to mush. On the other side of the spectrum is the Boss DS1 - very good note clarity but almost cold and clinical timbre-wise.

Basically, I need a pedal that somehow meets both halfway. I'm looking for a rich, full, warm fuzz sound, but I need something that really cuts and lets all of those notes in your open/barred chords shine clearly and brightly. I've heard the current EHX Muffs pale in comparison to the originals and some of the boutique models - could I see an improvement using one of the boutique modes?

Open to any and all suggestions!

I like your rig. fuzz's are okay for diads but for triads things can get messy.

I have a similar rig to yours, I turn the amp up to the point of mild breakup, use the DS-1 on a low distortion setting to push the amp into a good chunky rhythm tone, I then use a treble booster to push the DS-1/amp over the top. I can get anything from a blues tone to Sabbath.

I have a bunch of fuzz's and only really use them for leads and single note lines, and diads.

I'm considering buying a Monsterpiece NPN, check them out, nice.

Archived