No announcement yet.

Best distortion/fuzz for chords.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best distortion/fuzz for chords.

Sup, guys. Long time amp-OD dude here looking to make the transition to pedals, I figured you guys might have some insight for me on this one.

Long story short, I've been looking at distortion/fuzz pedals for about a week now, and I LOVE the sound of the EHX Big Muff. Only problem is, it turns my chords to mush. On the other side of the spectrum is the Boss DS1 - very good note clarity but almost cold and clinical timbre-wise.

Basically, I need a pedal that somehow meets both halfway. I'm looking for a rich, full, warm fuzz sound, but I need something that really cuts and lets all of those notes in your open/barred chords shine clearly and brightly. I've heard the current EHX Muffs pale in comparison to the originals and some of the boutique models - could I see an improvement using one of the boutique modes?

Open to any and all suggestions!
    PRS SE Custom Guitar
    Fender Bassman (1967 Blackface) Head
    Orange 2x12 Cabinet (2005)
    HBE Germania Treble Booster
    Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah

Boss HM2 fits the bill perfectly
    Originally Posted by RoboPimp

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

I'm getting a Rat next week for a lot of the same reasons. I played around with one yesterday for a couple of hours, and it does all the things you mentioned.
      Good deals with
      petejt , Tb_308, SonicVI, Rileykill, Goodhonk, Juice, jordanjordan, Virex, ClickyClique and Jubb.

Comment

My favorite fuzz for "chords":

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Tom @ fuzzhugger is a solid guy, and his pedals are
        Run!

There are some that call me... Morningstaru?

Comment

Boss HM2 fits the bill perfectly

Agreed but it's nowhere near as bassy as a big muff if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

Sup, guys. Long time amp-OD dude here looking to make the transition to pedals, I figured you guys might have some insight for me on this one.

Long story short, I've been looking at distortion/fuzz pedals for about a week now, and I LOVE the sound of the EHX Big Muff. Only problem is, it turns my chords to mush. On the other side of the spectrum is the Boss DS1 - very good note clarity but almost cold and clinical timbre-wise.

Basically, I need a pedal that somehow meets both halfway. I'm looking for a rich, full, warm fuzz sound, but I need something that really cuts and lets all of those notes in your open/barred chords shine clearly and brightly. I've heard the current EHX Muffs pale in comparison to the originals and some of the boutique models - could I see an improvement using one of the boutique modes?

Open to any and all suggestions!

I like your rig. fuzz's are okay for diads but for triads things can get messy.
            I have a similar rig to yours, I turn the amp up to the point of mild breakup, use the DS-1 on a low distortion setting to push the amp into a good chunky rhythm tone, I then use a treble booster to push the DS-1/amp over the top. I can get anything from a blues tone to Sabbath.
            I have a bunch of fuzz's and only really use them for leads and single note lines, and diads.
            I'm considering buying a Monsterpiece NPN, check them out, nice.
            great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Looking for the same thing. I've been told a Rat.
              http://rosecassidy.bandcamp.com

Comment

RAT
                Shot From Guns
                www.shotfromguns.wordpress.com - New updates!

The Artful Dodger -
                www.soundclick.com/theartfuldodger

"Business acumen, institution building, and shrewd political maneuvering are the only way to protect conscious artistry."

"The more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the solid state crystal lattice. Maybe it just comes down to that." - the wise Alexander Dumble

Comment

RAT
                  I've had good transactions with: that mullingskid, theweight, Puckman, Hand Amputation.

My Band, One Adam 12's Facebook page.... like us on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Ad...96285173763464

The Danelectro Fan Club

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Da...31414573630286

Comment

Working...
                  X