Looking for super tight distortion pedal

Telewanger

• Members

I have been looking online for several days. There must be 500 different distortion / overdrive pedals!

I want a super tight distortion pedal. I don't want the fizzy, fuzzy, spread out, chain saw, overdrive distortion.

Remember the old Rockman units. They had decent packed tight distortion.

Right now I have a Butler Tube Overdrive, Jekyll and Hyde overdrive / Distortion, Hendrix Fuzz Face, and Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

I am missing a really tight distortion. I don't care about the scooped mid sound. The Jekyll and Hyde will do it very well!

Do you have any suggestions?

Below is a diagram of my current setup!

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/mikesignal.jpg

• Members

Big time update:

About an hour ago I received the Trachouse, end of the line, booster pedal that I ordered. It is a very simple, one knob, one switch booster, but it is a very clean boost.

I just discovered something really awesome! I run a strat into a Keeley Compressor ( settings at 12:00 ), into a Xotic Rc Booster, I turn the volume up on the RC Booster to 4 and gain to 0.

The RC booster pushes hard into the Butler Tube Overdrive, pushing it's input, but not so hard to clip. I had the Butler custom made to Eric Johnson specs.

After the Butler, I run it into a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, cranked about half way up, into a Hendrix Fuzz Face, set at about 1/3 fuzz. then I run through my chorus, delay, and noise gate rack effects.

Now after all of that, at the very end of the line, I run through my new Trachouse Booster into the input of the Laney. I crank my Laney volumes up to 5. I turn the Trachouse Booster up a bit to a decent room volume. I was blown away!!!!!

It sounds better that an my Hot plate Attenuator. Now, I get Boston or Eric Johnson clean super compressed distortion tones, and even good feedback, at very low room volume, that I have been looking for all along. It sounds awesome!!! I have never had the good kind of feedback at such a low volume before. It is strange to say the least. Now I don't need a new distortion pedal after all!

Do you think pushing 2 boosters or that much power into the high input of a tube amp will hurt anything! It must be pushing pretty hard to sound this good at super low volume.

In case someone wants to check out the simple booster, here is the site.

http://www.davidaucoin.com/press

• Members

New version? What's different about it?

Well, before today, I couldn't send a real hot signal to the tube in my tube driver and the rest of my effects all the way to the amp. I also had to keep my amp master volume on about 1. I got the Trachouse booster in the mail. I put it last in line. I cranked up the amp to 5, cranked up the RC Booster, Fuzz Face, and my other effects. I turned the volume on the Thachouse very low to room volume.

Now, I have a very powerful signal leaving the guitar and slamming hard into my Tube Driver all the way to the Trachouse Booster. The volume is set low enough to keep the wife from shooting me. Since the amp volume is on 5, it is sounding like a nice cranked tube amp supposed to sound. This cheap little booster at the end of the line has made a complete world of difference. I should have had one years ago! It is not an attenuator, but it is really about the same as my Hot Plate as far as sound goes. It was only like $45.00.

It is one of the most inexpensive, but best things that I have ever bought.

I guess any decent end of the line booster will do the same thing.

• Members

Well, before today, I couldn't send a real hot signal to the tube in my tube driver and the rest of my effects all the way to the amp. I also had to keep my amp master volume on about 1. I got the Trachouse booster in the mail. I put it last in line. I cranked up the amp to 5, cranked up the RC Booster, Fuzz Face, and my other effects. I turned the volume on the Thachouse very low to room volume.

Now, I have a very powerful signal leaving the guitar and slamming hard into my Tube Driver all the way to the Trachouse Booster. The volume is set low enough to keep the wife from shooting me. Since the amp volume is on 5, it is sounding like a nice cranked tube amp supposed to sound. This cheap little booster at the end of the line has made a complete world of difference. I should have had one years ago! It is not an attenuator, but it is really about the same as my Hot Plate as far as sound goes. It was only like $45.00.

It is one of the most inexpensive, but best things that I have ever bought.

I guess any decent end of the line booster will do the same thing.

I meant the new version of the Polysaturator.

• Members

My setup is pretty simple when you follow each signal path. I have three different paths. The only effects I use anymore is distortion/overdrive, chorus, delay, and reverb.

I just have routed them to several amps because I play about anything from country to heavy metal. There is no way to get great country or jazz music out of a Laney or Marshall. You gotta have a Fender Twin for country.

I have never been able to get great heavy metal out of a Fender Twin. It is just too clean. One type of distortion box can't do everything. One type of amp or guitar can't do everything. If they did every band and guitar player would sound exactly the same on every song and CD.

• Members

Product: DOD FX59 ThrashMaster

Price Paid: US $59

Submitted 05/12/2000 at 08:28am by Rip Glitter

Email: mpbourjayahoo dot com

Ease of Use : 10

This pedal doesn't {censored} around with lots of fancy-schmancy knobs. You get Level, Gain, and Presence. What the {censored} else do you need? Personally, I don't like having to do math when I'm trying to get good tone out of my axe. That's why the helpful folks at DOD have removed numbers from their knob dials, and just use black dots. Why the {censored} should i have to remember "Presence 3, Gain 10, Level 10" when my little brother's jagoff friends come over and {censored} with my {censored}? When I plug in my Signature Randy Rhoads Jackson V, I only want to think about one thing: rocking my ass off. The THRASH MASTER gives me that

hardcore metal edge I want without all the {censored} crap. Turn the knobs and turn it up!

Sound Quality : 10

I wish I could explain it. It's like Kerry King and Scott Ian went

cannibal, killed and ate the members of Diabolic Intent, jacked off their Diabolic Intent-infested spooge all over the second Type O album, and played it through my Eddie Van Halen 5150 half-stack at top volume. This pedal is METAL through and through. Sometimes I have to stop and slam my head into the wall because I can't believe how {censored}ing amazing my axe sounds with the Thrash Master. After I regain consciousness, I can hear this heavy grinding noise through my amp, and i realize that even when I was knocked out, the Thrash Master KEPT ON ROCKING WITHOUT ME. That's how good this pedal is.

Reliability : 10

You can beat this thing like a cheap back-alley whore and it'll keep

coming back for more. No matter how EXTREME you think you might be, the THRASH MASTER can take all you dish out and more. It never stops pumping out the fist-pounding metal, even if you kick it like some {censored} BUSH fan who showed up at the last Dark Legion show because he thought it was a D&D tournament.

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : 10

If you don't get the point by now, maybe you never will. The THRASH

MASTER is ready to give massive strokes to all your neighbors and those people who are unlucky enough to be walking by your home when you're playing through it. If you want, I will come over and thrash on my amp on your lawn, and you can install some new windows after you pound some craters into the walls with your head, because it's just that intense. And it's only like $59, so it only takes like 5 lawn mowing jobs before you can buy it.

• Members

how about a real proper high-gain valve amp?

The Laney Amp is nothing but gain, but it does clean up nice if I turn off the preamp.

I got the problem fixed yesterday with a $45.00 cheap clean boost pedal. I slam the front end of the effects chains with my RC booster cranked half way up, then the clean booster pedal slams power into the front of the amp inputs. My guitar to amp signal is red hot now! I just had a weak signal going through all of the effects, and didn't realize what the problem was until now.

• Members

I have been looking online for several days. There must be 500 different distortion / overdrive pedals!

I want a super tight distortion pedal. I don't want the fizzy, fuzzy, spread out, chain saw, overdrive distortion.

Do you have any suggestions?

Ignore everyone else, listen to me.

ReezaFRATzitz or Openhaus. MXR Distortion III is worth a shot too too (surprising).

• Members

It's called the creamsicle. PGS told Pigtronix to take away some of the harshness and add more of an organic tone. Warmer, I guess? It's just less bold.

Ahh, ok. Hadn't heard about it but from watching thr PGS demo I think I kinda like the Polysaturator better.

Archived