Do They Sell Little GPS Tracking Chips That You Could Put In Your Pedal Board...

mikeoxlong

• Members

yeah they do, I actually posted about a gps tracker a few months ago, but it was something like $400 plus $20 a month subscription. it only worked in certain states, and you had to remeber to charge it... don't remember what it was called, but there are options available if you're really interested...

• Members

yeah they do, I actually posted about a gps tracker a few months ago, but it was something like $400 plus $20 a month subscription. it only worked in certain states, and you had to remeber to charge it... don't remember what it was called, but there are options available if you're really interested...

that seems a bit steep, it's just my pedal board is startin to become a little gold mine and it would be nice to not sketch about my gear all the time touring.

• Members

Bring on the tin foil hats....

It seems you don't understand the difference between RFID and GPS... at most if you stuck a gilette rfid in your pedalboard someone could say "hey! there's a can of gilette over there!" if it was brought near a scanning device set to understand what is encoded on the chip (so don't bring the pedalboard to your supermarket, they may think you're shoplifting)... to even tie into gps the RFID reader would have to be equipped to transmit it's coordinates via gps (not the coordinates of the rfid chip), and you'd have to have access to gilette's network to get the location of the reader transmitting...

good luck with that...

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Check out GPSRoadie - an app we developed to protect instruments, tour vans, tour trailers... the app creates a virtual fence around the phone. Stick the phone in an instrument case, tour van or tour trailer, and that item is protected. If stolen, GPSRoadie messages the other people in your band with location alerts.

On Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_gpsroadie.GPSRoadie

More info at GPSRoadie.com

• Members
gaffa tape an iphone under it :D

thats the way to go, must not be an iphone though, something cheaper with android would do as well....

but its just helping as long the battery is up. and when constantly making a connection to update the status where it is, with an iphone and co you have less than 24h until the signal is dead..

Check out GPSRoadie - an app we developed to protect instruments, tour vans, tour trailers... the app creates a virtual fence around the phone. Stick the phone in an instrument case, tour van or tour trailer, and that item is protected. If stolen, GPSRoadie messages the other people in your band with location alerts.

On Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adie.GPSRoadie

More info at GPSRoadie.com

It's a cool idea, but there's one issue with it that I think will be a problem for many people - you either have to be without your phone (because while you're in the local Waffle House having dinner, it's sitting in the band trailer outside in the parking lot) or you have to buy a second phone and dedicate it to just this purpose... which, while expensive, is probably the better and more realistic option IMHO. In this day and age, most people are not going to want to be without their phone, and if you have the phone with you, and your gear somewhere else, the app is useless.

Another thing... what if I wanted to mount one inside a mixing console or other piece of live or studio equipment so that it would be hidden from a potential thief's view? Powering the phone / recharging it becomes an issue (unless you mount an external USB / charging jack on the gear, or put that power supply inside the host equipment) not to mention the phone's range may be (probably would be) adversely affected by the unit's metal case. If the phone is just sitting inside a guitar case, what's to keep the thief from opening the case and tossing the phone? Maybe the first batch of thieves would be caught by this, but I'd think the word would quickly get out, and they'd either look for phones, and if they find one, look for apps like the Apple Find My iPhone app or your GPSRoadie app and either delete / disable them (so they could later sell the phone) or ditch the phone entirely.

Again, I think it's a good idea, and I commend you on trying to do things to help musicians protect their gear from lowlife thieves, but I'm trying to play devil's advocate here and am looking for potential issues with the system, and ways to get around it - because that's what the crooks are going to do.

• Members

Ideally you would buy another phone and use it for the protection device. Dedicated GPS units that are accurate enough, cost about $250 and require data plans costing $20 to $60/month. Used smartphones work for $40. If a band can't afford $40, or they need something immediately - as in today, they can download the app onto all of their phones and decide whose phone goes in the tour trailer.

This application due to the constraints you mention, is not really meant for protecting consoles.

The interference issues depends on the phone's signal strength. The app maxes out the phone's location tech using both cellular and GPS, but the app can't increase signal strength of the phone, so the better the phone, the better the signal.

When protecting an instrument by putting it in a case, the phone should not be put in the accessories compartment if possible. The phone should be hidden in the lining of a case, even if that requires cutting material. If it's a vintage case, stash the phone in a pack of strings and put in the accessories compartment is your best option.

If the thief opens the case and simply takes the instrument, there is not much anyone can do except use an instrument mounted device, which at this time is not an option.

If the word gets out to thieves - well, there is no stopping that. A phone is very easy to hide so it would take some time for them to find it, during which time the location is being sent to you. That's the important part of the immediate warning with the app - the faster you're able to respond, the greater chance you have at getting it back.

Someone asked about those other apps and what's the difference. The difference is that GPSRoadie alerts you and your contacts immediately of theft and also broadcasts stolen alerts. You're protecting your gear and helping other musicians. Plus, no registration and no fees.

This is a way for musicians to start protecting their gear today for next to nothing.

• Members

Actually, having an instrument-mounted solution is possible - look at the tuners Gibson puts on headstocks. There are many, many ways that manufacturers could include tracking devices in gear, and I think it would be of much interest to working musicians.

Archived