Loop Station RC-20XL Repair

kattcoom

• Members

Hi All,

I have a Loop Station RC-20XL that crashed on me.

I've on had it for a year and abit and have only used it 10/15 times.

Firstly, it kept switching itself off and on and then blinking away, then when I pressed play/rec all the LEDs lit up and it froze, the only thing working was the guide beat which is now a buzz rather than a bass drum machine sound.

I took it back to the shop, they tried a factory reset which didn't work and said they could send it back to Boss but it will cost me lots of money.

Anyway...pissed off, I went home and had one last go at fixing it, which unbelievably - I some how managed to do...all except the guide sound.

1. Start by selecting Phrase 1.

(if the 'REVERSE' or 'AUTO START' are lit press them off.)

2. Select 'INST & MIC' by pressing 'MODE'

3. Hold down 'EXIT' and 'AUTO START' together - at the same time, this should light up the green LED for 'LOOP PHASE'

4. Hold down 'WRITE' and 'EXIT' together

then hold 'WRITE' on its own

then 'WRITE' and 'EXIT' together again...as if you were clearing a phrase.

they should light up in red and flash, if not try a combo of section 4.

5. Repeat on all Phrases 1 - 11.

I hope this works for you and I'd be interested to hear from anyone that can solve the buzz on the 'GUIDE'.

Kattcoom

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! I have been searching high and low for a fix for this. Like you, my local store was going to charge big money (and several weeks time) to fix my RC20XL.

I followed your instructions and it works! Note to those trying this: Be patient. Sometimes you have to cycle through the steps a couple of times on EACH one of the presets in order to get it to work.

Unbelievable. How did you stumble upon this button-push sequence? I had tried every combo I could think of, when powering on or off, etc, but nothing. Now my looper is back online. Oh, and BTW, I'm down in New Zealand, where it takes a while to get ANYTHING fixed, so I really appreciate it.

best,

john

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Unbelievable. How did you stumble upon this button-push sequence? I had tried every combo I could think of, when powering on or off, etc, but nothing. Now my looper is back online. Oh, and BTW, I'm down in New Zealand, where it takes a while to get ANYTHING fixed, so I really appreciate it.

Hi John,

I'm really pleased this has also worked for your Loop Station

I can't remember how I worked it out, I decided to just sit with a pen and pad and try different things out on the loop station (then when it worked, I typed it up here), it was all but broken anyway, so I had nothing to lose. Luckily I came across this fix before opening it up and trying to get 'technical' with a soldering iron.

Out of interest, did your loop station's 'GUIDE' buzz and if so does it continue to do so now, after the fix?

Happy Looping...

Kattcoom

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Thank you Kattcoom - what a relief! I finally got an RC 20 from someone on eBay, with all sorts of uses in mind - was intending to rely on it for busking and some community music sessions. Soon discovered that I couldn't delete anything, despite following the manual and various posts in forums like this. Eventually gave up, contacted a repair guy who suggested a factory reset (nothing in the manual about that)... and your post came up.

And it worked!

Because you took the trouble to post what you discovered, a whole load of people coming to music sessions for Alzheimer's sufferers & carers will get sax breaks in the songs I play for them. :-) :-)

Nick

• Members

Hi Nick,

I'm glad the fix worked for you, I'm especially glad that you'll be able to continue using your pedal in your music therapy work with Alzheimer's sufferers & carers! I've since purchased a new loop pedal, the Jam Man Stereo, it's solid, has a huge memory (for a pedal), has a memory card input so you can store loops/samples indepedantly from the pedal, also you can scroll through your loops easier using your feet rather than the selector knob on the loop station. I still use the the loop station though.

Happy Looping...

Kattcoom

Archived