No announcement yet.

Guess who's back: Laney Cub 10

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who's back: Laney Cub 10

Yep yep yep back again with another amp question. I know, I know, I'm a twat.

Anyway, I'll keep this one short.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/laney-cub-10-tube-guitar-amp-combo--66836

It's half the price of the Blackstar, with the same size speaker and double the wattage (thus similar/more volume, right?). Ofc no effects loop, but I don't like amp distortion.

What exactly is the catch? Since the Blackstar, as the other guitarist in my band demonstrates (playing only on 2/3 out of 10), is loud enough for practice, and this also has the speaker output, what good reason (other than it doesn't sound as good, but it'd have to sound amazingly worse for me to fork out
    Pitchblack -> TOD V1 -> SD-1 -> Turbo RAT -> Fish and Chips -> DD-6 -> DL-4

Fender Telecaster Custom
    Fender Jaguar Classic Player
    Legend Telecaster (Converted to Plus)

Vox AC30CC1
    Fender Champion 600

Maybe the blackstar is overpriced
    The difference between digital and analog is that computers cannot understand the concept of infinity. Therefore, a computer cannot create all of the possibilities for tonal varitation and richness that an analog effect can.

Comment

Maybe the blackstar is overpriced

Perhaps.

I don't know if my playing style would go down well with the effects crew, I'm kinda a one-knob guy (insert obvious joke here). So I don't need EQ, don't need a million things, just wanted Class A/B so that I wouldn't get overdrive if I turned it up loud, and a speaker output, and loud enough for practise.

Just any suggestions why it would make more sense to get a VC15 really is what I mean to ask. I even prefer the look of the Cub, although ofc that shouldn't matter. It's light; always nice.

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
      Fender Champion 600

Comment

Also, whilst I'm at it with questions, how does a speaker output that's "8-16 ohms" work? Does it just tell what output the speaker is?

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
        Fender Champion 600

Comment

More wattage isn't more volume, but it will have more clean headroom.
          good deals w/: RockDaJoJo, timmyo, rrancani, inscho, johnrambo, hangwire, mrweems, cleverbastid, mandooks, cantoXIII, Munchlaxatives, Shawn_Duggan, Parah Salin, RuggerHann, hazelwould, tommasters

Comment

But in theory, it would not be below the volume of the Blackstar HT-5?

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
            Fender Champion 600

Comment

Depends on the speaker efficiency as well. Maybe the blackstar one's good and all. I haven't tried those cub10 but they look fun!
              Spam:Selling:Nothing.WTB:Catalinbread Merkin FuzzGibson Maestro FZ-1 or amazing clone

Comment

Depends on the speaker efficiency as well. Maybe the blackstar one's good and all. I haven't tried those cub10 but they look fun!

Tis a Celestion, so it's the real deal (I think...)

I just have this feeling that there is something about it that justifies the ridiculously low price tis all.

In terms of the sounds I wanted, all I wanted was a warm tube amp, and from the few videos I've seen it does the business.

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
                Fender Champion 600

Comment

Also, whilst I'm at it with questions, how does a speaker output that's "8-16 ohms" work? Does it just tell what output the speaker is?

it can't tell no, it just doesn't care.

ie the transformer will accept loads of 16ohms down to 8 ohms.

Comment

Just to add to your confusion, Blackstar is releasing higher wattage HT amps (announcing and/or releasing this week at NAMM).
                    Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

More wattage isn't less volume oke:

Given the same impedance, speakers, cab, etc, more wattage is more volume to a certain point.
                      THAT AND THE VATICAN (MY BAND)

Comment

More wattage isn't less volume oke:

Given the same impedance, speakers, cab, etc, more wattage is more volume to a certain point.

And given all this, no matter how incredible the Blackstar speaker is, it would not be louder than the Cub 10?

So now it just leads me to the original question...

Why should I get a VC15 instead of a Cub 10, baring in mind I care little for EQ effects loop etc. etc.

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
                        Fender Champion 600

Comment

that cub 10 sounds rad.

it sounds like they are rating the wattage pretty conservatively. depending on the bias method two 6v6's could be 12-15 or even 20-25 watts. maybe they are using a really inefficient bias method or small output transformer and it is only 10 watts.
                          either way, through the exact same speaker, the laney would be louder than the blackstar.

i think it sounds like a rad purchase for the price. probably is alot like a fender pro jr. but 6v6. which is instantly cooler
                          Mellowtone website - Mellowtone on Facebook

Comment

that cub 10 sounds rad.

it sounds like they are rating the wattage pretty conservatively. depending on the bias method two 6v6's could be 12-15 or even 20-25 watts. maybe they are using a really inefficient bias method or small output transformer and it is only 10 watts.
                            either way, through the exact same speaker, the laney would be louder than the blackstar.

i think it sounds like a rad purchase for the price. probably is alot like a fender pro jr. but 6v6. which is instantly cooler

Sounds like this may be the amp for me. Any last minute additions, in favour of the VC15 instead people?

Fender Telecaster Custom

Vox AC30CC1
                            Fender Champion 600

Comment

Sounds like this may be the amp for me. Any last minute additions, in favour of the VC15 instead people?

ok lets look..

VC15

15 watts of amazingly warm or classic bluesy lead tone powered by matched EL84's and cranked out through its internal 10" speaker. If 10" ain't enough for you, there are two dedicated extension cabinets - the GS112VE and the GS210VE.

Cub10

The CUB 10 is a Class A/B design and produces 10 watts RMS of power from an output section loaded with a pair of 6v6GT's, driven from a pre amp loaded with 2 ECC83's. The pre amp compliment consists of a Tone control, a Volume control and a Gain control, along with a set of Hi & Lo input jacks. The CUB 10 houses a 10" Celestion driver.

VC15....................Cub

15w......................10w
                              classA...................classA/B
                              10" Jenson ............10" celestion
                              EL84's ....................... 6v6

by the looks of that I'd say the VC was gonna be more like a little Vox, the cub more like a little Orange... maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X