digitech xp100 whammy - wah

ollenorin

• Members

I loved mine when I had it, but dumped it for an EX-7.

The EX-7 was never quite the same as the XP, didn't seem to track as well and the octave was always sharper, harsher. The XP-100 was less sleek, stylish, had a funky preamp, crappy footswitches, etc. . . but it had character to it. I honestly regret selling it and have a Whammy IV on the way that I hope I'll bond with in a similar way.

• Members

Excellent: whammy, octave and detune;

Bad: bypass and wahs

There's also an annoying latency on the octave and shifting.... It's noticeable especially on fast picked, single note riffs.

That's true about the latency, I forgot about that. . .

All in all, I say if you can get it cheap, go for it.

• Members

I got mine for $60. Built a true-bypass looper to avoid the tonesuck. There is a dude that mods them to have the Reverberator, Modulator, and Space Station, but it isn't cheap.

The Wahs do suck, but everything is cool. I A/B-ed it with a Whammy IV and didn't notice a huge difference on the pitch shifting.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that you can set user presets. You have a bank of 6 (Is it 4 or 6. . .something like that) that you can switch through via the upper switch. So instead of having to scroll through settings, you can literally click the large switch above the bypass to go from octaves to volume pedal to wah to envelope filter to harmonizer, etc immediately. That was really helpful and very cool, and allows you to do a lot of switching very quickly, even mid-song if need be. That's something that you can't do with the Whammy IV and you need to buy the external controller for the EX-7 to even be able to do something like that.

Goddamnit, why did I sell this thing. . .

• Members

The Wahs do suck,

Place it after dirt and you can use the wahs as filters (i.e. AM radio-like) as in set wahs.

Plus, the wahs had a slight volume drop so it made sense to me to use them as such. It's not what it's supposed to sound like, it's what you can do with it.

• Members

a huge distortion or fuzz in front of the envelope filter (8) is quite amazing. it's like a filter sweep on some kind of hardcore dance track. complete subs, rock it forward slowly.. pretty damn cool. probably my favourite effect in that pedal to be honest.

i might have to get mine out of the cupboard for a play. could always record some clips too.. anyone want to hear anything in particular?

Archived