No announcement yet.

WMD Geiger Counter Civilian Issue

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMD Geiger Counter Civilian Issue

Has anyone tried one of these out yet? There is very, very little information out there available on the unit.

I'm tempted. It is a whole $100 cheaper than the original, but you lose so much -- I don't mind not having CV input so much, but you have way less wavetables to work with and you lose the ability to control sample rate and bit depth on the fly, apparently.

I believe there's a store around here in Berkley that carries WMD stuff -- I'm likely going to go check it out at some point this week.
    Good spam deals with: claffman, sjaltenb, Gunner Recall, brandnewzo, StratAtak83

Listen to my music:
    House of Spheres - Acoustic/electronic duo playing a blend of seventies fusion, breakbeat, and nu jazz
    Sommy - Fingerstyle acoustic guitar compositions saddled with ambient and post-rock

Originally Posted by n!k

DIGITECH BEFORE DISHONOR

Bump.
    Good spam deals with: claffman, sjaltenb, Gunner Recall, brandnewzo, StratAtak83

Listen to my music:
    House of Spheres - Acoustic/electronic duo playing a blend of seventies fusion, breakbeat, and nu jazz
    Sommy - Fingerstyle acoustic guitar compositions saddled with ambient and post-rock

Originally Posted by n!k

DIGITECH BEFORE DISHONOR

Comment

i just got me a big box one... no idea how they compare... doubt this place will be a whole lot of help for another month or so, either.
      this is my 1 post for the month.

Comment

what'd be the point of a bit crusher if you can't decide how many bits your're crushing? or how low of a sample rate you're going to?

just save up the extra 100$ for a big box geiger.
        Near Grey

Comment

Ditto. Get the big box as the sample and bit rate control is where the magic happens.

Comment

Take the one thing the original can use (presets), then leave behind EVERYTHING else that makes the pedal worthwhile. That's the civy.
            Good trades: jk2171, Vantango84

SPAM:

WTB Gibson V90 or V90 Double

Comment

Saw one at NAMM at the Metasonix booth, but nowhere to try one out.

FS/FT:
              - Fender Classic 50's Strat with TV Jones Classics + case (MIM)
              Wanted:
              - Squier Surf Green Jaguar
              - Goatkeeper, WMD Geiger Counter, Strats, Rickenbackers
              GOOD DEALS: Click Here

Comment

everything is speculation right now, there is NO real info on it anywhere, and certainly no demos to show how closely related it is to the full size... for all we know there could be trimpots or the controls aren't what we think they are (the tone know supposedly does more than just tone)... I have the original but I'm still curious to see what this and the arcane preamp is, WMD just has to get it together and update the website with some useful info and clips.
                we could be dangerous: art, as a real threat

Comment

while we wait on something more than speculation... got any cool settings for the big box?
                  this is my 1 post for the month.

Comment

I'd gladly sacricice the tone and gain knobs for samplerate and sample resolution/frequency. Way more useful.

If you already have a wavetable and a basic micro (which I'm assuming the civilian issue has) then the "hardware" for bit depth and samplerate are already in there. Just not "wired" to any pots.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    {www.dronecloud.org}
                    {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

Comment

I'm sticking with the original, but I can see this ones appeal-- the Geiger is quite a powerful distortion pedal that can do all flavors dirt, so for 'regular' guitar applications, I think this is a great pedal and the compromise of size&presets vs bitcrushing a good one that makes sense-- I could see many people never using the that side of the pedal in real world applications, hence 'civilian issue'. Its basically a distortion multieffect; you could fill up those presets with pretty legit gated fuzz's ala devi/zvex, prunes&custardish tones, mild overdrive to heavy distortion, etc, with just the gain/wavetables/tone.

If you're doing any other signal processing with it, or looking for a bitcrusher, the original Geiger Counter is an excellent choice and an abyss to explore. You can really make something out of nothing with the pedal, I love it with percussion and synths especially, though I have other analog pedals that do many of the geigers tones with bass that I use, otherwise it would get more bass use as well.
                      Good Deals: stevexdanger, toddtroutman, crxshdxmmy; +38 good deals on talkbass and a few on TGP, all under the same username.

Comment

I'd gladly sacricice the tone and gain knobs for samplerate and sample resolution/frequency. Way more useful.

If you already have a wavetable and a basic micro (which I'm assuming the civilian issue has) then the "hardware" for bit depth and samplerate are already in there. Just not "wired" to any pots.

Fair enough, but even with the knob swap, or if they somehow crammed Tone/Gain & Sample Rate/Bit Depth on board, what it still lacks is the CV input. No ability to use an expression pedal... no ability to run through a LFO. Thus, at least 50% of the magic of the pedal is lost.

SPAM:

Comment

... for all we know there could be trimpots or the controls aren't what we think they are (the tone know supposedly does more than just tone)...

Is it possible that the function knob could be used to change the bitrate in conjunction with the tone knob or something?

Comment

Is it possible that the function knob could be used to change the bitrate in conjunction with the tone knob or something?

Not likely. The original function knob keys through the wave tables with a twist (clockwise or counterclock). Tapping on it keys in the order for sample and depth. That leaves the tap feature open since that VITAL feature is stripped off the civy. BUT the civy allegedly has presets, and this is the only place you can access them unless they are tied to the stomp switch. That would be absurd, because you would have to stomp the switch 16 times through all the presets to bypass. So in all likelikood, IF the civy has presets like I have read, they would have to be available through pressing the function knob. It's the only place you could put the feature on THAT setup that would make any sense.

I will also add the further potential fail of that setup would be that if you are on preset 1 and stomp your foot down twice to preset 3, ANY twist of the foot can cause the knob to twist to a different wave table, making the civy even less well considered.

The way to have made that pedal worthwhile would be:

1. Switch Tone/Gain for Sample Bitrate/Bit Depth knobs (if you had to resort to either/or for that enclosure)

2. Add the CV input

3. Have a seperate stomp switch for presets, and relegate the function button to work EXACTLY as original recipe

SPAM:

Comment

BTW, my previous comment sounded a bit negative. It's not wha tI meant at all.

I think that it's fantastic that this builder makes such an original pedal!
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              {www.dronecloud.org}
                              {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

Comment

Working...
                              X