Italian Jensen speakers

echodeluxe

I needed a new speaker even to test and retrofit the amp properly, so I locally sourced and installed a C10R into my Princeton; with the original intention of replacing it quickly with a Weber... It's been ages since I did that, and I still don't have a Weber in it - the Jensen RI sounds surprisingly good to me in that amp. :idk:

• Members

I needed a new speaker even to test and retrofit the amp properly, so I locally sourced and installed a C10R into my Princeton; with the original intention of replacing it quickly with a Weber... It's been ages since I did that, and I still don't have a Weber in it - the Jensen RI sounds surprisingly good to me in that amp.
:idk:

nice. yeah i expected the super reverb to really treble heavy and it isnt. i mean, its got an even frequency response it seems. i just worked on a deluxe reverb reissue from the same year and it was treble city. im sure the speakers had a hand in the sound, but the super reverb is anything but shrill.

• Members

Ceramic Jensen RI series: OK but not great.

Alnico Jensen RI series: haven't really liked any of them (P12R, P12N, P12Q). They've been in a variety of amps from cheap Laneys to expensive Cornells. The mids and top end doesn't sound good to me. The lower wattage speakers sound better than the higher wattage ones.

Jensen MOD series: the 12-70 is one of my favourite speakers and the best of the cheaper speakers I've used. I haven't found anything from Eminence that beats it. The much vaunted Cannabis Rex sounds a bit dead to me, smooth to the point of being boring.

I've got a Jensen Tornado in my powered speaker cabinet and it's sounding pretty good so far. Tight bass, decent mids, nice top end without being shrill, and stupidly light to boot.

people who are speaker snobs are also tube snobs and component snobs.

Speaker choice is as personal as your overall sound. A couple of years ago, I picked up a Weber 1225 for a cheap price, installed it in a 1x12" cabinet, and tested it alongside a current Celestion G12M-25 Greenback, the speaker the Weber was based on. The Weber sounds so much bigger, a much wider soundscape, less harsh, and a lot sweeter. The Weber 1225 is $100. I don't consider that to be expensive considering how vital a speaker is to your sound and when compared to a pedal.

Archived