Touring to The UK Soon, How Am I Going To Use My Pedals/Amp?

hot_karl

• Members

i'm sure any place that you'll be jamming will have these.

not true at all. you can probably rent one from a backline company for your shows. that may be cheaper than buying one. they aren't impossible to find but it's not like every venue has them either..... AND YOUR PEDALS WILL FRY! i learned that the hard way.

• Members

A universal adaptor should be your best bet. It's probably the smallest of your options and will cost no more than $20.00, probably less. Step-down transformers are bulkier and heavier.

And since your using it to run your pedalboard, the power rating for the adaptor won't be an issue.

• Members

A universal adaptor should be your best bet. It's probably the smallest of your options and will cost no more than $20.00, probably less. Step-down transformers are bulkier and heavier.

And since your using it to run your pedalboard, the power rating for the adaptor won't be an issue.

totally wrong answer. the power needs to be stepped down or the electronics will fry. I have a dead dd2o sitting here as proof.

• Members

totally wrong answer. the power needs to be stepped down or the electronics will fry. I have a dead dd2o sitting here as proof.

And what do you think a universal adaptor does?

Thats the point of it, it steps down the voltage. It comes with multiple plugs, and depending on where you are in the world you use that specific plug to attach to the adaptor so it fits into the wall outlet. Then on the opposite side of your adaptor, there is an outlet for your 110VAC. That way, you can plug in a device that runs on 110VAC and power it. The adaptor will step down the voltage for you.

I'm going to assume that the OP is from North America, so most likely when he buys a universal adaptor, it will be meant to step-down 230VAC to 110VAC anyway.

And so you know, I bought a universal adaptor for when I went to Europe almost two years ago, so I could run my portable DVD player, alarm clock, etc on it. So I know what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't give someone bad advice on this forum. Especially when it comes to electronics.

• Members

that is bull{censored}

most of those do NOT convert power, just make your plug fit in the right hole

true. look at your power supply, if it says input: 110 - 240vAC (or whatever) they you can use a travel adapter, if it says input: 110vAC then you're gonna need a step down converter.

• Members

that is bull{censored}

most of those do NOT convert power, just make your plug fit in the right hole

I meant to say "converter". I didn't realize that when retailers used the term "adaptor", that it was just for fitting the plug into a foreign outlet/surge protection only. I do realize that the voltage in the UK needs to be stepped down.

A "universal travel converter" is what the OP should look into.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Travel+Adapters&product=2738414

The one in the hyperlink is the same one that I have.

Edit:

I edited the photos from my previous post to avoid further confusion. The ones that I previously posted were for travel adaptors. The current photo is for a travel converter. A travel converter will in fact step the voltage down from 230VAC to 110VAC. Sorry for the mix up.

• Members
:idk:
what to do with all of this contradicting info

that power adapter looks sketchy, appreciate the advise, but it seems a little small and simple to be able to convert 4 different ways?

K, Hot Karl, listen to me and listen good, as I have direct and recent knowledge of what you are going through.

Look at your current powersupplies and read whats on the back. If it says "Input: 110-240volts ~50-60 hz", then you need an adapter to change the shape of the plug to fit the hole. You can buy them anywhere for a couple of dollars.

If it says "Input: 110volts ~ 60hz" then you need to replace the powersupply with something that can handle up to 240volts.

I would recommend against a stepdown trasnformer because they are usually heavy as {censored} and aren't cheap. If you are going to drop the dough, just get a Burkley Flatliner or the Voodoo lab powersupply.

Archived