What Does The Zvex Box of Rock Sound like on A Clean Amp (Fender Twin Style)????

hot_karl

• Members

I tried it in the studio with my Ampeg VT-22 which was set to totally clean. I didn't like it, it was noisy and a bit flat feeling to me. I much preferred my RAT. But each to their own. Can you not try one out at a shop?

they might have one.... it's hard to find stuff around here.... I also have a vt-22, which i love to death, but i think fender twins sound a bit sweeter/smoother. But when I need it loud and hard, i always go to the ampeg.

• Members

Thanks man that helps a lot, it sounds really good... When you say it stacks well with other pedals, are you referring to noise level and feedback etc?

Yes, not a lot of noise and hiss when you run another drive into it. Also it reacts more amp-like in that it just gets heavier and more saturated sounding instead of getting sputtery and farty like say a tubescreamer.

• Members

just came back from the music store, lone behold there was one sitting there and there was also a diamond j-drive (which I am using with it) tried them both together in a twin.... they sound amazing together... never knew my twin could sound like a marshall!

gotta give it to zvex, this is my first pedal of theres but it's a winner for sure.... Even tho I always hated the graphics and the name.... I now love the graphics and name cus i know how it sounds.

• Members

just came back from the music store, lone behold there was one sitting there and there was also a diamond j-drive (which I am using with it) tried them both together in a twin.... they sound amazing together... never knew my twin could sound like a marshall!

gotta give it to zvex, this is my first pedal of theres but it's a winner for sure.... Even tho I always hated the graphics and the name.... I now love the graphics and name cus i know how it sounds.

Good to know. Glad you're a convert. I'm thinking of changing the graphics this year. But not the name. 8^)

• Members

Good to know. Glad you're a convert. I'm thinking of changing the graphics this year. But not the name. 8^)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the thing sells itself by it's tone, it's really punchy which I love... I'm not too concerned with graphics.

you could put a giant penis on the woolly mammoth for all i care, I really really want one..... do you guys do consignment? :)

• Members

indeed most people seem to find it more suited to cleaner amps I've seen. I been mostly using as a tone shaper/preamp especially when I can't crank my amps. The cascaded dirt come in handy from another pedal. One thing I can tell you with me I feel it has a very open/non compressing feel to it that will respond to your guitars volume for cleaning up.

• Members

indeed most people seem to find it more suited to cleaner amps I've seen. I been mostly using as a tone shaper/preamp especially when I can't crank my amps. The cascaded dirt come in handy from another pedal. One thing I can tell you with me I feel it has a very open/non compressing feel to it that will respond to your guitars volume for cleaning up.

I agree, the tone is amazing on my old twin... transparent, boomy and really responsive... It's got just enough bite... EXACTLY the tone I was looking for, very very happy with this pedal... took a little tweaking, but I got her dialed in and on my board already.... also sounds good with some light compression infront of it.

Archived