Headrush vs DL-4 for looping?

gambit

• Members

I actually think the DL-4 is easier. I kind of have to think about what I'm doing with the Headrush, whereas with the DL-4 (and also 2880) I just seem to be much more in tune with it.

I also like that on the DL-4 you can set the initial loop and keep it in record mode for seamless stuff. The Headrush can't stay in record mode when setting the initial loop. ALSO, manipulating the delay controls in real time while the loop is running is crazy fun. I love screwing with oscillating delays over the top of the loop.

• Members
The DL4 is probably a more useful looper than the Headrush, but it's also a huge gamble. Its gonna break.

I've been through TONS of DL-4's, and not one of them has broken on me. I've actually had 2 separate Headrush E2's that liked to glitch in loop mode, and they were 2 separate glitching issues. One would just lose the loop and stop playing (off and on, it was never consistent), and the current one just straight up doesn't record right. It's like it just randomly ends the loop when you're in record mode.

• Members

I also like that on the DL-4 you can set the initial loop and keep it in record mode for seamless stuff. The Headrush can't stay in record mode when setting the initial loop. ALSO, manipulating the delay controls in real time while the loop is running is crazy fun. I love screwing with oscillating delays over the top of the loop.

interesting..

so with the DL-4 once you get to the end of the loop you can hit 'record' again and go straight into overdubbing, or you can hit 'play' to just have it loop unarmed?

• Members

I've owned several DL4's, and never had any reliability issues with any of them. I never see what you guys are always on about.

And why can't you daisy chain off your fueltank with the DL4? Just get one of the OneSpot L6 adapters.

interesting..

so with the DL-4 once you get to the end of the loop you can hit 'record' again and go straight into overdubbing, or you can hit 'play' to just have it loop unarmed?

Yes.

• Members
I've owned several DL4's, and never had any reliability issues with any of them. I never see what you guys are always on about.

And why can't you daisy chain off your fueltank with the DL4? Just get one of the OneSpot L6 adapters.

Yes.

the Fuel Tank Jr is 80ma per output and the DL-4 seems to be 1200ma. i'm pretty dedicated to using all 5 outs on the Fuel Tank to cover the rest of my pedals.

actually the Headrush is 160ma anyway, so it would need a dedicated supply too.. moot point i guess :rolleyes:

• Members
the Fuel Tank Jr is 80ma per output and the DL-4 seems to be 1200ma. i'm pretty dedicated to using all 5 outs on the Fuel Tank to cover the rest of my pedals.

actually the Headrush is 160ma anyway, so it would need a dedicated supply too.. moot point i guess
:rolleyes:

Is the DL-4 really 1200mA? You wouldn't need a dedicated PS for the Headrush. Just got a current doubler. T-Rex sells some on their site or just cut a daisy chain cable to 3 ends, plug 2 into the outputs on the FTJr and the other one to your pedal.

• Members

just youtubing a bunch of videos of the Headrush and found something quite interesting..

skip to 5:00min

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

rather than just using the mix outout for combined dry and looping signals, you can seperate the signals by using the 2nd output to send the looping-only signal off in one direction and keep the dry signal going through the 1st output.

This could be very useful for how i want to use the looper (looped signal running through a bunch of ambient effects independant/in parallel to my main signal).. i can't believe a Gearwire video taught me something useful! :lol:

• Members

For what it's worth, I really like the Headrush for looping.

They're reliable and the delay's also sound great.

My only problem with the Headrush is that when you overdub, you can't delete the last overdub, you have to delete them all the way back to the original loop.

Also, to get a gauge of size, here's mine on my board...

SDC10634.jpg

• Members

I use the DL4 (now M9) pretty religiously in my solo music. for its features, I can't do without it and perform the songs I do. I've tried the akai, and I thought it was okay, but I really prefered the reverse/double/half time. Plus the instant playback upon tap is nice too (like dave knudson). I know a lot of others swear by the akai though.

Personally, I think the m9 (i know it isn't one of your options) has the advantage over both though with the ability to undo or redo like the RC-20, making it nearly my perfect looper, except the inability to save loops. Like mentioned before, on the akai if you wanted to remove a phrase, you have to remove all the way back to the initial phrase.

Most of my songs use the DL-4 looper, you can hear those on my solo myspace (link in sig) or on plenty of videos I have on youtube. Break Out & Grow and Joel are two songs I play out frequently that use the DL4.

• Members

I use the DL4 (now M9) pretty religiously in my solo music. for its features, I can't do without it and perform the songs I do. I've tried the akai, and I thought it was okay, but I really prefered the reverse/double/half time. Plus the instant playback upon tap is nice too (like dave knudson). I know a lot of others swear by the akai though.

Personally, I think the m9 (i know it isn't one of your options) has the advantage over both though with the ability to undo or redo like the RC-20, making it nearly my perfect looper, except the inability to save loops. Like mentioned before, on the akai if you wanted to remove a phrase, you have to remove all the way back to the initial phrase.

This pretty much.

• Members

I recently got the Akai headrush and it takes up less space than the DL-4 horizontal wise that is, it runs off a daisy chain no noise and you dont need a special adapter

It doesnt have the reverse but thats not a big deal, you can manually do play once

Getting a seamless loop is no problem

Ive had a DL-4 in the past and if pedalboard real estate is not an issue go for it, but I also had the tap tempo switch go out on it. It was an easy fix that had to do with the switch itself, but knowing a thing or two about a thing of two I fixed it. Someone who doesnt know squat would just throw it away, still it shouldnt break if its gonna get stomped on as much as it will.

Ive also had an RC-2 and thats a whole other story

Bottom line, if you like MTB and you wanna do some Dave Knudson(play once madness bells and whistles) whilst having some pretty cool delay options available get a DL-4

If you want a dedicated looper for live use with an undo function thats easier than cake, get a Headrush

• Members

the reliability of the DL-4 is becoming quite an issue.. not only from reviews, but the one i bought new was doing stupid things, it got sent off, came back with the same problem so i returned it an paid extra for the M13.

such a mixed bag when it comes to reliability. even all the testament to the contrary still makes me think it could go screwy at any time.. i don't like that in a pedal..

Archived