Steel Wool on the neck

TravvyBear

• Members
ummmm.......ALWAYS tape up your pickups with masking or gaffers tape BEFORE you use the steel wool.

just speaking from experience
:facepalm:

Wrapping the body in something helps, I find. However you do it though, keep the stray bits of steel away from the magnets or you'll be cleaning it up forever...

• Members
the {censored}?
:freak:

I used super glue, it's VERY hard once set up. Lasts a long, long time. Simple to apply, just fold over a paper towel until you have it down to about a 2-inch square or so. Run a bead of super glue down the back of the neck and spread it before it sets up, just wipe it into a good coat on the back of the neck. Let it set up until it's hardened, then just steel wool it smooth. If you have slight imperfections or spots where the finish isn't covered well, just do a second coat. My custom strat's neck has one coat and I built it in 1991, I haven't worn through it yet. It's turning a nice shade of yellow now with age, too. Just don't do this type of finish in a small closed in space, as you need good ventilation because of the glue's fumes.

• Members

I used super glue, it's VERY hard once set up. Lasts a long, long time. Simple to apply, just fold over a paper towel until you have it down to about a 2-inch square or so. Run a bead of super glue down the back of the neck and spread it before it sets up, just wipe it into a good coat on the back of the neck. Let it set up until it's hardened, then just steel wool it smooth. If you have slight imperfections or spots where the finish isn't covered well, just do a second coat. My custom strat's neck has one coat and I built it in 1991, I haven't worn through it yet. It's turning a nice shade of yellow now with age, too. Just don't do this type of finish in a small closed in space, as you need good ventilation because of the glue's fumes.

Sometimes you gotta huff a little glue, BFD

Archived