Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I Remove A Single Layer Of Paint From A Guitar?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I Remove A Single Layer Of Paint From A Guitar?

I got a 1954 harmony stratatone guitar (same guitar used by Ritchy Valens, Tom Waits etc.. Pre Stratocaster) for a great price, but some jackass took the stone's words to heart and painted it black.... the sad part is that on the headstock where the name is I can see the origional beautiful vibrant gold sparkle paint job.... which looks amazing.

this thing sounds unreal but the paint job is so horribly done that everytime I look at it I just

Can I fix this?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">No Stairway... Denied ?</div>

Maybe. Post pics.

youtube
    soundclick

Deals: Tron Murphy, hangwire, renula, AimmarCair, Urinate Forever, ck3

Comment

any idea about what type of paint was used, acrylic, latex, spraycan, other ?
      if you don't know, you should experiment with these three methods

Abrasive--"Abrading" the painted surface by manual and/or mechanical means such as scraping and sanding. Generally used for surface preparation and limited paint removal.

Thermal--Softening and raising the paint layers by applying heat followed by scraping and sanding. Generally used for total paint removal.

Chemical--Softening of the paint layers with chemical strippers followed by scraping and sanding. Generally used for total paint removal.

that didn't help much

Comment

I got a 1960's Stratotone by the way

Comment

depends acrylic has different solvents to poly

BUT those solvents may also remove or negatively effect the poly underneath (if thats what it originally was)
          <div class="signaturecontainer">--------------<br />
          good trades with; Barnaby Hardly, theboywho</div>

Comment

Working...
          X