carbon copy vs memory toy

korgi

• Members

I've owned both. The CC is a bit darker delay, especially with longer repeats. The Toy is more neutral sounding. Delay time was close to being even, the modulation on the Toy does a bit more than the CC v1 I had. Toy is cheaper, if that matters. I'd probably take the CC over the Toy. But for $19 more, you can get a TC Electronics Repeater, or $45 more a Tech 21 DLA w/TT, and both of these delays are far, far superior in just about every way possible. That's what I would do (and did do) anyway.

• Members

The Toy is a pretty cool lo-fi delay. It will get you by for slap-back and very indistinct (ambient?) longer delay times -- except that it has a very annoying volume boost when you engage the pedal. On the plus side, it's a very neutral boost, but I find that it can add distortion to my amp when I'm not looking for it.

I have only tried the CC in the store, so I can't give a reliable a/b. I am tempted to try one out because I see myself taking my Way Huge reissue Aqua Puss back to the store.

• Members

I didn't notice a volume boost with the Toy, but there is a mix knob, which should cure that problem, no?

I've not played the Toy, but the Boy has the same issue. The Blend knob is designed so that at 12:00 there is no boost. But if you turn the blend down below noon, then you get the volume boost on your dry signal. That was one reason I did not like my Memory Boy.

I have the CC, which I do like. I think the repeats are less noisy and the modulation is more subtle. If it matters to you, the Boy/Toy can go 100% wet while the CC cannot.

• Members

get a used CC for sure. the toy does not sound good at all.

no doubt,

if you don't like clearer repeats, much better sounding modulation, far more sounds options and expression pedal control steer clear of the boy.

Archived