Need tips for fixing a noisy Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer

• Members

I recently bought a used Behringer Xenyx 802 analog mixer on eBay. I paid $45 + shipping.

Unfortunately, when I tried out the unit @ home, the signal was polluted with static and a regular background clicking/ticking noise. :cry:

The seller has offer to refund the item cost so I'm free to try to gut the unit and attempt a repair on my own. What should I do?

I'm guessing the ticking/clicking noise is coming from the power supply. Think I need to find someone locally with the same unit so I can test out this theory.

The static might be fixable with some DeOxIt spray-on stuff. I can probably hit all of the mic, 1/4" and RCA input connectors and all the pots.

Anything else?

• Members

behringer? i suggest the "lake" method.

find the nearest lake to you, and throw it in. problem solved :lol:

those are disposable units. no one i know will repair them :cry:

i had the same thing happen recently, had a Soundcraft 1000 watt powered head, it died on me after a year of gigs. NO ONE wanted to fix it. new one is $399.:mad:

most cheap gear like behringer is designed to FAIL :mad:

• Members

Sorry I can't help but i had the exact same problem with this mixer. I just ended up selling it.

Bummer. Don't know if I want to foist this noise-maker on someone else...I'll end up keeping it if I can't fix it since I'm only out the $9 shipping costs on it.

Maybe I'll need to look at a unit from Mackie.

They have an 8-track model and a 4-tracker. They're a lot more than the Behringer offerings though.

402VLZ3.jpg

• Members

FWIW the Tapco stuff is inexpensive and seems pretty reliable. My buddy has used a Mix100 and Mix120 for a couple years now. He still lusts for the Mackies, and promises he'll get one when the Tapco units die but they're still going strong..

• Members

FWIW, I have a Behringer 1002FX and it's been solid as a rock for a couple years now. Even accidentally plugged the speaker out from my Epi Vjr into the mic input once and it handled it like a champ. So they aren't all bad.

Got lucky and scored this on the MF SDOTD last month for $100...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-M164-16Input-Mixer?sku=582246

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I have recently bought the xenyx 802 after seeing a guitar recording tutorial on spectre sound. i too noticed the hum/buzz coming from the power supply. yurns out it was because it was plugged into a multi socket adapter. i swapped the plug into another socket with less outlets and the problem went away.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Archived