Vox AC15C1 users, still happy?

IRG

• Members

I'm amp shopping, and the AC15c1 is high on my list, in fact I even had a dream about it last night:facepalm: I was thinking about the Egnater Tweaker, but some posts on TGP have me leaning now toward the Vox. I think the amount of "tweaking" I could do on the Tweaker might be cool, but also a distraction. So I want decent cleans, but good overdrive tones from my amp. THis seems to fit the bill. I hear people regularly change the tubes, so I might do that. Otherwise, any reason not to get this amp? I can get a good price on it new too.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey

after you posted in my amp thread, ive been looking into the ac15c1 as well as the ac30c2, i was thinking about either getting the ac30 and a small amp, but now im thinking bout getting two ac15 instead. they seem to be amazing amps

• Members

played two. they rule.

They do seem to rule. I wish they hadn't used mdf for construction, but I can live with that I guess. I would have paid an extra $100 or so for a pine cabinet, but what can you do.

They take pedals well? I've heard the Crowther Hotcakes is the THE overdrive to go with Vox, not sure why this is, or am I imagining this?

• Members

Hell yes. Had mine for over 6 months and it still blows me away. Changed the reverb tank out and it made it my perfect amp.

Edit: the Hotcake works great with it, as does my Beano Boost (any Rangemaster type pedal would probably be great). It also takes fuzz well, my Hoof and Lunar Module sound great through it.

• Members

did you play them both together ? say stereo rig or anything ?

if so how did they sound together ? its something that im really interested in !!!

no, separately tried them out at different guitar centers.

i would imagine they are insane in stereo.

• Members

Hell yes. Had mine for over 6 months and it still blows me away. Changed the reverb tank out and it made it my perfect amp.

Edit: the Hotcake works great with it, as does my Beano Boost (any Rangemaster type pedal would probably be great). It also takes fuzz well, my Hoof and Lunar Module sound great through it.

Good to know, I like my fuzz too, Musket and a Keeler Fuzz face. I might get a Hoof as well.

• Members

PLEASE GET THIS AMP!!!!

Its awesome! I saved my self a good $500 because I was seriously looking into the ac30, but I realized I will never need anything that powerful.

so I got the ac15c1 from sweetwater (its was a demo unit $550 :thu:) and man I could not be happier. but dont let the 15 watts fool you it is still loud and proud! sounds great miced in the studio, and miced live! I used it for its first gig Friday night and I have never got so many compliments on my tone in my life!

great amp man. sorry if I sound like a vox spokesmen right now :cop:

• Members

My buddy used to use an AC15. It seemed to me like the thing had zero headroom. User error?

Should have some headroom, but maybe in a band context, it was a bit taxed. I only need it for home use (for now) so 15w will be more than plenty. Vox cleans are nice, different from what I'm used to.

• Members

My buddy used to use an AC15. It seemed to me like the thing had zero headroom. User error?

Pretty much what my advice was going to be. I loved the AC15 and I was brought onto the Vox scene by this very amp. At the time my budget was smaller so I was considering the VC30, but man does the AC15 blow the VC30 out of the water with its buttery tones.

But gotta think about the headroom problem. There is some, but not lots and lots. And given that it's an odd arrangement with the channels, it's not easy to get around.

Or just beg/borrow/steal for an AC30, the greatest purchase of my life besides my main guitar and maybe my very first guitar.

• Members

Pretty much what my advice was going to be. I loved the AC15 and I was brought onto the Vox scene by this very amp. At the time my budget was smaller so I was considering the VC30, but man does the AC15 blow the VC30 out of the water with its buttery tones.

But gotta think about the headroom problem. There is some, but not lots and lots. And given that it's an odd arrangement with the channels, it's not easy to get around.

Or just beg/borrow/steal for an AC30, the greatest purchase of my life besides my main guitar and maybe my very first guitar.

FOr me, the AC30 would be overkill for home use, wouldn't it?

• Members

FOr me, the AC30 would be overkill for home use, wouldn't it?

It would be. I can assure you because I own an AC30, "bedroom" volumes make it sound honky and not as full as it should be. (then again, most tube amps are like that. YMMV.)

I'd check it out, it has a greenback in it, no? Greenbacks are fucking great. :love:

• Members

I'll be honest the ac15 is close to being overkill for home. it will fore sure punch you in the face

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of too. Not that I can't open it up now and then, but I'll still probably use pedals for some applications, especially when I need to keep it to lower volumes.

• Members

the only issue with head room is that if you want ear bleeding cleans you will not get them because it will break up, but how many people need cleans that are that loud? the ac15 will still get loud cleans still, but not like ear bleeding

• Members

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of too. Not that I can't open it up now and then, but I'll still probably use pedals for some applications, especially when I need to keep it to lower volumes.

Like I said its (CLOSE), but it is still fine for home use, just not for late dabbing

• Members

This is the 1st amp on the list of stuff I'm considering once I move....I would need something for home use but also would like to keep up with a band if the need arises (not that I have anyone to play with at this point).

So the AC15 can get lound enough but gets dirty? Like filthy?

Also is the AC15c1 the model to get or are there others? I know some of the cc models need to be avoided.

Do guys feel the need to do anythnig to these amps as soon as they get them? bright cap mod, new speaker etc?

/hijack

• Members

This is the 1st amp on the list of stuff I'm considering once I move....I would need something for home use but also would like to keep up with a band if the need arises (not that I have anyone to play with at this point).

So the AC15 can get lound enough but gets dirty? Like filthy?

Also is the AC15c1 the model to get or are there others? I know some of the cc models need to be avoided.

Do guys feel the need to do anythnig to these amps as soon as they get them? bright cap mod, new speaker etc?

/hijack

From what I've heard on TGP, the tubes aren't always great, but that's about it. The standard Greenback speaker is a very good one, and an upgrade from the Wharfedale that was in the CC version.

• Members

I've had a lot of people ask me about the reverb I switched so I thought I'd post it here, this is the unit I got:

http://www.tubedepot.com/rt-8eb2c1b.html

It's a big improvement over the stock unit IMO, much more dynamic without the ridiculously long decay the stock unit had. It's not as nice as say a Fender Twin's verb tank but I think it sounds really great, I actually sold my reverb pedal after installing it. It's a super simple drop-in replacement, the screws line up exactly, all you need is a screwdriver.

I also bought some JJ's output and preamp tubes but the stock ones haven't bothered me yet, so I'm saving them till these wear out. The greenback speaker is really nice, I actually prefer the sound over a blue.

• Members

Don't count out the tweaker because of what the knuckleheads on tgp say. It's a great amp and I haven't found a bad tone in it yet. I've had mine for 4 months or so too. I get compliments from other players, non guitar players and soundmen all the time.

Have you played either? Do you have a local store that stocks them?

• Members

Don't count out the tweaker because of what the knuckleheads on tgp say. It's a great amp and I haven't found a bad tone in it yet. I've had mine for 4 months or so too. I get compliments from other players, non guitar players and soundmen all the time.

Have you played either? Do you have a local store that stocks them?

I have not played the Tweaker, not sure if there is a store anywhere close by (actually nothing close by), I can try out the Vox though I'm pretty sure, although their sound conditions are not ideal, and their stock is usually fairly pathetic. I have great guitar shops nearby, but no one does a good job with amps.

Archived