Digitech 2112/2120

• Members

I once had a 2112 and just got rid of it cause I am not that parameter/preset/programm dude!

The Distortion sounds are unlike many other multi FX units pretty good and Tube driven.

All The FX Stuff is digital IIRC but you can find some neat delay ambient and swell settings!

Ultra Burtals sound a bit harsh and have a slight touch of syntheticness

• Members

Thanks man. I don't think I'd use it for brootz tones, as I'd be hoping to set it up 4CM with my Laney GH100L. In theory I'd use the GH100L's preamp for brootz tones, and perhaps use some clean preamp tones from the 2120 for that kind of thing.

yeah some of the ambient and synthy sounding patches on the demo I saw sounded amazing. I'm pretty set for effects to be fair, but it just looks like it could potentially add a fair bit of extra awesome to my rig.

• Members

That said the Brutals are not bad I am just more Dillinger / Converge than Fear Factory you know ;-P

Its definitely a nice tool for the current used prices, you just have to sit down and learn it and as always with these 19

• Members

I just got a Digitech GSP 2101 and I also have a Digitech GSP 2112 on the way. I just started setting up the 2101 this week. When I got it it had some old tubes in it and it didn't sound that great, but a tube swap with some good new tubes brought it to life.

The three different tube voices coupled with the extensive EQs available really allow you to get some nice tones, but you have to be willing to tweak. The Saturated tube setting will get real high gain.

I play classic rock right now and I should be able to get about any tone I need for this band out of these units.

I get much better tones out of the GSP 2101 then I ever got from any Line 6 product I have owned.

Max

• Members

Bummer on the 4CM!

Those things can really sound great with a tube power amp. I have been gping a little crazy with older preamps with tubes in them. I recently bought two ADA MP-1 preamps, modded one and left the other stock. I would like to get an MP-2 and maybe a MP-1 classic.

I am a collector not a hoarder dammit!

Max

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Have you considered getting a Johnson Millenium? Essentially it's the same pre as the 2112. You could get a used Millenium 250 Head for relatively cheap i think. And get a j12 foot controller and have quite abit of flexibility.

There are some really cool things about how digitech designed the effects section. The loop position is horrible admittedly though. If it was stereo and could be put anywhere in the chain, I'd pay to have my JM150 fixed and would still use it.

Any type of effect in any order. Noise gates can be turned on or off and can be set in a way that allows for some nice note blooms for textural stuff. They've got several different flavors of choruses, flangers, verbs and delays. They've got either a tap or an analog delay model that -- perhaps not as realistic as some, I got some really nice sounds out of. The parameters they offer give you a ton of control.

But what's super cool is that you can save off an individual effects settings and name them - not just the patch name (which would include all the active effects as well as the preamp) but the given settings that you've used for delay on that patch.

So like if on patch 50, I've set it to be American Combo preamp w/delay, trem, and verb. I can save that particular patch's delay setting to a name of it's own. So lets say on patch 51 I'm using a different pre along with an eq and a delay. And I love my pre/eq sound, but hate the delay and want to try my delay setting from patch 50, i can pull that setting up by name (assuming I'd saved it off by name -- slightly different process than saving the entire patch).

Basically it gives you virtual "pedals" which you can name. It's a super cool concept if you think about it. I wish other manufacturers would use it. Not just the idea of having a certain model to pull up (ie a DMM model), but the ability to pull up a given set of settings for that DMM model - by name - that you know you like.... all without having to go and copy paste or referring to the settings in another patch/scene you've already got set up.

• Members

Thanks for the info mate. I thought that sounded cool too, about being able to save individual effects as presets which you can import into different patches!

Not looking for another head though. I've already got a small rack and a foot controller, and one of the main things I want to do is get away from having a head balanced on top of my rack.

The other thing I'm drawn to is having a stereo rig which won't have ground loop issues because the power amp is actually designed to run stereo. Every time I try running 2 amps in stereo, it ends up being a hprrible buzzing mess.

My proposed swap would be to sell/trade the GH100L in favour of a Digitech 2120 and a Marshall 9100.

Here's another question... would the 9100 (being 50+50 watts) be much different in volume to my GH100L (100 watts)?

• Members

Thanks for the response, guys. Just gopt a disappointing email back from Digitech technical support, who told me that the loop on the 2120 is actually within the preamp block. So it's a total no-go for using the 4CM.

:(

The GSP1101 is 4CM compatible, and has received positive reviews from former 2101 and 2120 users ... but the 2120 probably has better pitch shifting effects. :idk:

• Members

thanks mate,

I've looked into the GSP1101, but as with most modern rackmount processors, it seems to be a real step back from the stuff that was coming out in the late 90s and early 00s.

The GSP1101 seems to be extremely basic in terms of editability (4 parameters per effect), where the old GSP 2101/2112/2120 have ultra deep editability over reverbs and delays etc (20+ parameters), which really interests me because I'm a tweeker.

• Members

thanks mate,

I've looked into the GSP1101, but as with most modern rackmount processors, it seems to be a real step back from the stuff that was coming out in the late 90s and early 00s.

The GSP1101 seems to be extremely basic in terms of editability (4 parameters per effect), where the old GSP 2101/2112/2120 have ultra deep editability over reverbs and delays etc (20+ parameters), which really interests me because I'm a tweeker.

Yowza ... there are 3-8 parameters per effect (at most) with the GSP. Even with series/parallel switching, global settings, various wet/dry levels, the total number is nowhere near 20 ... though there are plenty of expression control options for the few parameters available. I'll bet the effects block routing options were more extensive with the 2120, too, right?

• Members

Not sure in terms of routing (serieas/parallel etc) but i do know the 2120 allows up to 4 effects per s-disk, and you can repeat effects too. Eg delay-verb-delay-delay.

There's a cool delay which uses up entire s-disk where it puts 4 delays in parallel, sync'd to the same tap tempo and with individual control over level/feedback/subdivision/pan/low pass filter for each of the delays. I bet its awesome!

Archived