AMT SS-11B: Siberian and 7 strung.

Burg

• Members

That sounds great - I'm inclined to think that guitar just makes everything sound brilliant, am I right?

What's it tuned to? Has it made standard tuning feel piss-weak to you yet?

Well, that guitar does its way with things, yeah. A Strat it ain't though. It's tuned B, F#, D, A E , B, F#, high to low. .13 to .70.

Picking up a regular axe is an odd feeling after wielding that thing for an hour or so, absolutely.

• Members

I still am unsure as to why AMT has come out with this.

I was under the impression that the SS-20 was supposed to be their high-gain monster.

:idk:

That's a question for Sergey Marichev, I guess. They're all pretty high gain, though. Shoot Sergey an email and quiz him about it.

• Members

Brett I liked your demo for the SS11-A and have one on the way

Did you compare the A and the B with a standard tuning guitar?

I've seen videos where you use the F1 at a gig in lieu of an amp- do you plan on using the SS11-A like this at a future gig?

I'm thinking this would be the perfect pedal to bring along when I travel instead of using a borrowed amp or back line amp [plus it works on international voltage :thu:]

Of course, I realize that using it would place me at the mercy of the monitor mix!

• Members

Of course, I realize that using it would place me at the mercy of the monitor mix!

All good questions. I have compared the A & B and there's a subtle difference - the A seems a little middier, not as much aggression as the B, more along the Classic Rock lines. There's not much difference in the Clean channels though.

I still prefer the F1 as a basis for travelling, the SS's don't sit well with single coil guitars, which I prefer usually. That said, I know that the lads at AMT are working on a new one along the Dumble/MATAMP/Tweed lines so I'm looking forward to that one a lot.

• Members

All good questions. I have compared the A & B and there's a subtle difference - the A seems a little middier, not as much aggression as the B, more along the Classic Rock lines. There's not much difference in the Clean channels though.

I still prefer the F1 as a basis for traveling, the SS's don't sit well with single coil guitars, which I prefer usually. That said, I know that the lads at AMT are working on a new one along the Dumble/MATAMP/Tweed lines so I'm looking forward to that one a lot.

Thanks Brett!

Hmmm, well my travel guitar has humbuckers, but my main guitar at home has single coils. I would think that all of the EQ options that the SS-11A has would help dial it in with single coils, no?

The F-1 is almost a third of the price of the SS-11A and B.

So if you had to choose one pedal for the direct to house gig, among the F1 and any of the Tech 21 amp in a can pedals, which one would you choose?

I also wonder if you have ever tried the V-Stack Classic or V-Stack Tweedy. I have used both for direct to mixing board recording with good results, but never live through a PA

• Members

Thanks Brett!

Hmmm, well my travel guitar has humbuckers, but my main guitar at home has single coils. I would think that all of the EQ options that the SS-11A has would help dial it in with single coils, no?

The F-1 is almost a third of the price of the SS-11A and B.

So if you had to choose one pedal for the direct to house gig, among the F1 and any of the Tech 21 amp in a can pedals, which one would you choose?

I also wonder if you have ever tried the V-Stack Classic or V-Stack Tweedy. I have used both for direct to mixing board recording with good results, but never live through a PA

Nope, I've never tried the V-Stack or Tweedy, sorry.

I've tried the SS-11's with single coils and could only get satisfactory results from the clean channel. The Drive channel was just too bitey for mine. That's cool, because I know that they're working on a MATAMP/Dumble/Tweed/MKII-MKIV model - perfect! Can't wait for that one.

I take the Blonde and the F1 with me on my travels these days. The Blonde comes out if it's a single coil gig because I can crank that Gain and Mids a little to fatten the guitar. The F1 gets used if there's a humbucker in the equation because it's strictly clean and has better headroom which, for me, makes it a better proposition as a clean base for pedals and humbucker equipped axes.

• Members

Nope, I've never tried the V-Stack or Tweedy, sorry.

I've tried the SS-11's with single coils and could only get satisfactory results from the clean channel. The Drive channel was just too bitey for mine. That's cool, because I know that they're working on a MATAMP/Dumble/Tweed/MKII-MKIV model - perfect! Can't wait for that one.

I take the Blonde and the F1 with me on my travels these days. The Blonde comes out if it's a single coil gig because I can crank that Gain and Mids a little to fatten the guitar. The F1 gets used if there's a humbucker in the equation because it's strictly clean and has better headroom which, for me, makes it a better proposition as a clean base for pedals and humbucker equipped axes.

I got my SS-11A this weekend and plugged it into my Yamaha PA.

My guitar is the Eric Clapton signature Strat, and what I found helped with single coils is plugging a Fromel Shape EQ between the AMT and the PA. With that setup, all three channels of the SS-11A are usable with single coils!

I plugged my other new pedals in [Rat 1985 Whiteface Reissue into the AMT and EL Capistan into the Effects Loop of the AMT] and it sounds incredible and very much like an amp! Another thing that helps with single coils, is adding a bit of the mid-boost know that comes with the EC Strat.

Looks like AMT has a winner here- I'm looking forward to trying it for direct to board recording next!

Archived