You ever finally "get" an effect?

Crxsh

• Members

For the life of me, I've never been able to find a creative use for reverse delay that didn't sound like I wasn't trying to use it.

I hope that makes sense.

Put another way, I've never been able to pull off using it naturally. Like, not making it sound like I was forcing it in just to be cool or gimmicky or something.

But today

• Members

Totally.

Never had a compressor before b/c I really didn't see the point. Then I was trading a guy for a Wampler Pinnacle, and he brought with him the Ego Compressor cause he was looking to get rid of it. I figured, "what the heck?" and tried it with my clean channel. Never again will I not have a compressor to spice up my clean channel or to give a little more to my low/mid gain distortion.

• Members

I had a friend who loved reversed delay and I really looked up to him a guitar player, so when I got my first delay pedal (DD-20) I tried so hard to get a cool reverse delay sounds but I never could. So I gave up on it and just used the warp delay all the time. After like 3 years, I had gotten a lot more comfortable with my effects and was messing around when I tried to use the reverse again. I got what seemed like the perfect settings for it and was so proud of myself. But then next week I traded that DD-20 to get a DL4 because I was a baby influenced by lies. Biggest mistake of my life...

I still don't get chorus though... :idk:

• Members

I was like this with compressors until recently. When I was younger I had one and I would just turn it up as far as I could so I could instantly tell the effect was on. Now that I have one again, I'm learning to use it and I'm finding it very useful.

• Members

Totally.

Never had a compressor before b/c I really didn't see the point. Then I was trading a guy for a Wampler Pinnacle, and he brought with him the Ego Compressor cause he was looking to get rid of it. I figured, "what the heck?" and tried it with my clean channel. Never again will I not have a compressor to spice up my clean channel or to give a little more to my low/mid gain distortion.

this

for years, I was like 'wtf is this for?' ...

• Members

Trem for me. Outside of that one Green Day tune, I could never figure out a practical use for it. Then one day I was playing sustained notes and thought, "I really need a light trem here." The rest is history.

I would say that I've grown into fuzz, but the first one I ever had was a Maestro FuzzTone, which was absolutely horrid, so I think it's just more about finding the right one.

• Members
For the life of me, I've never been able to find a creative use for reverse delay that didn't sound like I wasn't
trying
to use it.

I hope that makes sense.

Put another way, I've never been able to pull off using it naturally. Like, not making it sound like I was forcing it in just to be cool or gimmicky or something.

But today

• Members

Phaser. Hated it for years. Static up/down, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh = boring.

Been using it a lot for Floyd-y textures and some single string funk riffs lately. Don't know why I like it now. :lem:

Same with flanger. I bought the BF-2 cos I had

• Members

You know it makes me laugh, weird effects have ALWAYS come natural to me. I can always make the weirdo things that should sound gimmicky and stupid work in NORMAL song context. Things like Ring Mod, Talk Box, Whammy/Pitch Shifting, etc I can always just make work for me. But normal effects like trem, reverb and wah I have problems getting to fit into songs.

• Members

Ring mod I never thought I'd use till I got one. I still haven't found much use for chorus/flanger/phaser, other than my DMM. Every time I try one of those, it ends up back in the closet pretty quick. But I like what other people can do with them.

Archived