Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Do you use batteries in your pedals?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't buy for a second that it can't be done or that fuzzes just sound better with batteries.

rlly?
    on ALL fuzz, period?
    or just yours?
    What fuzz do u have btw?
    __________________________________________________ _________
    arcadesonfire:
    And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
    ______________________________________________ _________
    guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
    _____________________________________________ _________
    ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

All dirt: batteries.

Delays, 'verb, etc: power supply...
      My old band: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/dragstripriot
      Gibson Les Paul junior/'67 Fender Bassman/Marshall 1965 cab/ '91 MIJ
      fender p bass/ampeg B-15S/2 15" Marshall JCM800 bass cabs

Comment

rlly?
        on ALL fuzz, period?
        or just yours?
        What fuzz do u have btw?

All I mean by that is I think that it is perfectly possible to design fuzz pedals that sound great with an adapter and don't require a battery. A voltage control helps

My favorite fuzz pedals that I own are an Aramat Mojo Fuzz (NOS GE fuzz-face based pedal), ProTone Monster Fuzz (****************ed up destroyer of a big muff), and some FuzzHugger(fx) fuzzes. Tom doesn't even include a battery option, and his fuzzes sound fantastic. I also have one of the earlier Singing Tree pedals from MT, it's an Electra-type pedal I believe and it sounds great with an adapter. Oh, and a Catalinbread Hyperpak. Very similar to the Tube Sound Fuzz, though admittedly that isn't a very "fuzzy" fuzz to begin with. More of a fuzzerdrive or something.

I believe that some fuzzes DO sound better with batteries, or with dying batteries, but I think that it is by no means necessary for all fuzzes, and it in fact can be designed around.
        www.WamplerPedals.com (as of Dec. 2010) Questions or comments? Contact us!
        Jeff@WamplerPedals.com

"Agreed is like a hummingbird with a shotgun." - Aedes

Comment

I'm 95% power supply... I only use batteries on very rare occasions, and in general, I'd MUCH rather use a good adapter. I prefer the fact that it's generally less hassle - they tend to be less problematic and require less constant maintenance than batteries. They do better in terms of powering pedals with high current demands - man shall not live by fuzz alone. And yeah, adapters are "greener" in terms of waste, heavy metals, etc. I prefer the tonal consistency of adapters too. You can always adjust / starve voltage if that's the sound you're after, but a battery will change as it's being used... like I said, I prefer the consistency of adapters. YMMV.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'd given up on batteries but I got some new pedals that came with batteries and surprise, they do sound smoother batteried.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

this post is exactly why i can't take people like you seriously. it's a ****************ing battery. get off your high horse.

Well my post was somewhat facetious... so it wasn't really meant to be taken seriously. I just thought your consumer rage was comical... so I made fun of it.

Anyway, I only got on this high horse in hopes that I'd be able to reach far enough to knock you off yours, but where would the comedy be in that?
              Visit the Subdecay Website!Follow Subdecay on facebook & you could win a free pedal.

Comment

Batteries are too much of a pain in the ass. Plus I am cheap and batteries are too expensive to keep buying over and over.
                Guitars:
                Gibson Les Paul Studio
                MIA Charvel San Dimas
                MIJ Charvel So-Cal

Amp and Cab & Effects: Eleven Rack w/ QSC K12

New Eleven Rack standalone Preset loader: https://sites.google.com/site/elevenhack/

Great Deals with: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45497009

Comment

...and btw, I take all my batteries to the recycling and dispose of them correctly.

This is very responsible of you.
                  Where I live they have HazMat collection every three months. It's one day, usually on a weekend (but sometimes not)

HazMat includes everything from paint, monitors, florescent lamps, microwaves, printers, etc... so it's not just super poisonous chemicals. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, because half the time I'm already doing something else. I do a pretty good job of disposing of everything correctly, but you have to admit most people will just toss that stuff in the trash if they can get away with it.
                  Visit the Subdecay Website!Follow Subdecay on facebook & you could win a free pedal.

Comment

Yes. Would I use them if I could afford PSUs? Absolutely not. I have one very cheap PSU that came with my old Zoom 505II, and I use it to power my DD-3. It's (the PSU) very noisy and dilapidated, but there really is no point running a delay on batteries. (IMO)
                    Currently using:
                    Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
                    Board:
                    RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
                    EHX Small Stone (Big box)
                    Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
                    Ernie Ball VP-JR
                    Boss DD-3 (1987)
                    T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
                    Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

If I can avoid plugging something into the mains I will. I want to use less electricity not more. I bought a wind up radio a while back.

1. Install wind turbine and solar panels on your house.

2. Connect power adapter to wall outlet.

3. ?????

4. Profit.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

1. Install wind turbine and solar panels on your house.

2. Connect power adapter to wall outlet.

3. ?????

4. Profit.

This would be brilliant for U2, what with the amount of hot air and light reflection (courtesy of his sunglasses) that Bono generates.
                        Currently using:
                        Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
                        Board:
                        RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
                        EHX Small Stone (Big box)
                        Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
                        Ernie Ball VP-JR
                        Boss DD-3 (1987)
                        T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
                        Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

I used to use batteries exclusively, but I was spending so much money on them it just occurred to me to buy a cheap 9v adapter and been done with it. It's so much more reliable than a battery and I haven't looked back since.
                          Guitars: Godin Freeway Floyd/Indie Black Union Jack Les Paul -->
                          Pedals
                          Amps: Vox AD30VT/Blackstar HT-5 (--> Garageband)
                          Noise
                          Spam

Good Deals
                          arcaneaether, miffa 55, Timmay!, Vince

Comment

i use a power supply but i keep a battery in my tuner so i can tune without powering up the board.
                            good guys: english_bob, SG1, red_riviera, chisa, melx, Tayste_2000, tommyld (fuzzhugger), NetStar, bondini, Taylor704, HeartfeltDawn, garethdavies, Uncle Bastard, woolyh, Snufkino, THAT4301, Chugs, Matt0201, fruvai, Prince Squid, eerock, mr benn.

Comment

I use GodLyke power adapters on everything.
                              "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Cheap 9v batteries only in some fuzzes. I don't understand why people spend 5$ on one. There are really cheap in dollar stores! :-)
                                ((( KoskineN )))

Fender '52 Hotrod AVRI Telecaster
                                Fender '62 AVRI Jazzmaster
                                Fender Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar
                                Fender EJ Stratocaster
                                Fender CIJ '69 Competition Mustang
                                Gibson Les Paul R7
                                Gibson ES-339
                                Gibson SG '67 Special RI GOTW
                                PRS McCarty
                                Larrivée LV-03RE

Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo + Mesa 2x12 cab