Harmony central virus..

Josh33

• Members

yeah so last week i was browsing the forums and a fake "anti virus program" popped up on my screen and tried taking over my system. it nearly succeded but luckily i was able to stop it. it shuts down alot of programs and disallows access to the internet, anti virus programs, etc... but yeah. i wasnt completely sure if it was the forums or something else, but saw a post in the classifieds where someone picked up the same virus. just a warning for all of you! it was a nasty virus and definitely has the potential to screw up your system.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2656718

thats the other thread.

so keep a look out!

Posting about it is probably less helpful than contacting one of the mods or admins with a URL to the page you were on when it occurred. :idea:

Now I have to go find some thread and try to track it down, with little to go on... :(

If you run into anything like this in the future, PLEASE send me or any other admin or mod a PM ASAP so we can go in and edit / delete the offending post / link.

Thanks.

• Members

firefox. wouldnt have been a big deal but i had my anti virus program disabled for a moment which was stupid on my part. it didnt do any damage or anything which was good, but im sure that it would if someone who didnt know much about computers had come across it. just figured i would let people know!

• Members

what thread did this occur on? what were you doing? following a link? what?

it happened last week and i had a bunch of tabs open. i probably a thread open in the classifieds of the amps, effects, and electric guitars. i also had a bunch of threads open here in the effects forum. could have been anything really. sorry i cant be much help guys. i dont really remember much tbh. its been a rough week on top of that.

I just checked all the links / images in the only 2003 Les Paul Standard thread I could find...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2624100

...and they're all "clean" - no viruses. All Image Shack hosted and appear to be safe. I'm not sure where or what you were actually seeing, or how you got hit, but it's usually due to off-site content such as links and images. If you run across anything like that again, please let me know the specific thread as soon as you can so I can take care of it before others click the link or attempt to view the content and get "hit".

Thanks. :wave:

• Members
Way to cause a {censored}storm, Jish
:thu:

Did you get that BM back yet?

i didnt think this would cause up such a stir.. :p

and i havnt got the BM back yet. it will probably be a few weeks i would imagine. they probably have to order parts and stuff. its going to cost more then i wanted, but it will be glad to have it fully taken care of. i plan on using it for gigs, so its worth it. I'm also having my jcm800 worked on there too, so i'm waiting for both amps to be fixed. they gave me an estimate the day after i dropped it off though which was nice.

Archived