Pitchblack or Hardwire Tuner?

IRG

• Members

I think I may retire my TU-2 soon. I want a tuner without a buffer in it (I'm getting a MI Audio Boost n Buff which has a full time buffer in it).

The Pitchblack is popular and smaller. The Hardwire looks substantial, about same price, both true/hardwire bypass. I imagine the Turbo Tuner will get mentioned too, and I might, but it'll cost about $40-50 more. Not sure it's worth it, since I'm just a home player. Pitchblack still the one, or Hardwire?

Edit, should I also consider the Polytune? Seems kinda cool, slightly gimmicky too.

• Members

I did this very recently and gig pretty hard. I got the Planet waves chromatic tuner. It seems to tune a lot faster and more accurately than my old tu-2 did. It also has a display that you could see from the other side of a football field. True Bypass on top of all the cool extras of the tu-2. The OLDER PW tuners had a bad footswitch but the one I have is metal and not plastic and so it seems like at some point they made a revision and fixed it.

• Members

I think I may retire my TU-2 soon. I want a tuner without a buffer in it (I'm getting a MI Audio Boost n Buff which has a full time buffer in it).

The Pitchblack is popular and smaller. The Hardwire looks substantial, about same price, both true/hardwire bypass. I imagine the Turbo Tuner will get mentioned too, and I might, but it'll cost about $40-50 more. Not sure it's worth it, since I'm just a home player. Pitchblack still the one, or Hardwire?

Edit, should I also consider the Polytune? Seems kinda cool, slightly gimmicky too.

so you are going to replace a tuner with a buffer for a tuner without and then buy a MI Audio B&B to just use bypassed as a buffer? I don't follow your logic here... :idk:

• Members

has any one actually tried the hardwire? i've never seen anyone using it before.

Yep. I use it regularly. I comes to my acoustic and electric shows. My only beef is its size and weight. I can see why the Pitchblack would have appeal when compared.

• Members

so you are going to replace a tuner with a buffer for a tuner without and then buy a MI Audio B&B to just use bypassed as a buffer? I don't follow your logic here...
:idk:

I see your point. My main reason for selling the TU-2, is that I have had some issue with how the buffer in it interacts with some fuzz I have. Not sure it's the culprit, but pretty sure.

I want the Boost n Buff because a)I want a standalone booster pedal, and it seems awesome for the price b) it has a good buffer as opposed to a bad one, so there's that. I'm not getting the BnB just because it's a buffer, that's kind of an icing on the cake thing.

• Members

Home player = your Boss tuner is more than fine.

Yes, normally I would agree. Ive tuned with a pitchpipe before. But as I mentioned, the buffer in it, has sometimes messed with my fuzzface pedals, not exactly sure why. Ive heard the TU-3 has a significantly better buffer in it, so that my also be a good solution. But then if I decide to still get the Boost N Buff, I would have 2 buffers, and not sure I need that. Maybe have one at the beginning of the chain, one at the end. But I won't have more than 7-8 pedals from now on.

• Members

Yep. I use it regularly. I comes to my acoustic and electric shows. My only beef is its size and weight. I can see why the Pitchblack would have appeal when compared.

Yeah, there's that. I think highly of the Hardwire series, but they are beefy pedals for sure.

• Members

I see your point. My main reason for selling the TU-2, is that I have had some issue with how the buffer in it interacts with some fuzz I have. Not sure it's the culprit, but pretty sure.

I want the Boost n Buff because a)I want a standalone booster pedal, and it seems awesome for the price b) it has a good buffer as opposed to a bad one, so there's that. I'm not getting the BnB just because it's a buffer, that's kind of an icing on the cake thing.

ah, I see.... seems a good idea.

although saying that I really dislike my Pitchblack, as soon as I can afford something else it's going. It's works fine but I just hate it! :lol:

• Members

ah, I see.... seems a good idea.

although saying that I really dislike my Pitchblack, as soon as I can afford something else it's going. It's works fine but I just hate it!
:lol:

What about it do you not like? I've never been sold on it for some reason. Seems a little toy like? The Hardwire is a tank, the Polytune seems pretty slick, although user reviews seem a mixed bag.

Archived