Do you flip out over chips???

• Members

I notice quite a lot of people flip out if their guitar gets a chip, like it's the end of the world.

I don't really give a {censored} if my guitar gets chipped, as long as it still works I'm happy.

So, do you flip out over chips?

I do admit though, when I was a kid I did completely baby my guitar. :cop:

Whenever I let someone use my Taylor 510 (a wedding present from my wife), I always let them know how I got it, and that it was new in 1994, and (obviously from looking at it) it still looks practically new today... and that if they scratch or ding it, they will be answering to HER, not to me. :cop: So far, it's worked, and the guitar has only two very minor dings that you'd have to search a bit to find.

That's the one guitar I am most overcautious with... I do tend to be careful with all of my instruments, and I don't normally enjoy banging them up... but I'm also past the point of freaking out over a small mark, ding or similar blemish.

• Members

not unless they do it though pure negligence and stupidity. I once had a guy step on my les paul well it was in a gig bag and manage to push the volume nob all the way though the maple top and crack the plastic back cover. He almost {censored} himself when he heard the crunch and realized i was standing right there at the time but i ust pulled the pot back through the splinters and it still worked for the gig. partially my fault for placing it on a stage riser even for a moment, but in the end its ust a guitar and friends are more important.

not unless they do it though pure negligence and stupidity.

Accidents can / will happen. But if someone damages something via stupidity and gross negligence, it's going to be a long time before they get to use my stuff again - if ever.

I like to keep people who don't belong on stage OFF the stage. I don't let people just grab and mess around with things in the studio either. Need to use a guitar? Ask first please - the answer is almost always going to be "yes". But don't just grab and go until you've been given the OK to do so.

• Members

I don't like them, but I play an Ibanez, so I've come to accept it as a fact of life. :cop:

It really bothered me at first, and it definitely would if I had a nice Suhr or a PRS, or something, with a nice transparent finish.

• Members

I reckon i'll be one of the minority here that does flip out over chips and stuff happening to their gear. I'm quite ocd and like my gear to look pristine, for as long as possible anyway ... yeah i know :facepalm:

Think it all started with my very first guitar in the late 80s. It was a cheapo Hohner but it was my prized posession all the same. A friend came around and asked to have a go - he played for a moment and then grabbed hold of the neck and waggled the thing back and forth. When i said 'what the hell are you doing?' he replied 'but Slash does it' ... i pointed out that Slash probably gets his guitars for free and even if he didn't it wouldn't take him the best part of a bloody year to save up for a new one if some fool snapped the sodding neck off one of them.
I took my guitar from him and he was one of the last people to ever touch one of my guitars.
I learn't early on that some people have very little respect for your posessions so you should never let the bastards anywhere near it :lol:

• Members

First chip on a new guitar, a bit. After that, don't care anymore.

Second-hand guitars, couldn't care less: the more the merrier.

Me too, the first nick i got on my 335 i was pretty dissapointed with myself for letting it happen, apart from that im not particularly fussed. However, i would prefer not damaging my most precious possesions!!

• Members

When i was younger i didn't take care of my equipment the way i wish i did. Now as im older i definitely mind my guitars more. but then again they are worth a lot more than the guitars i had when i was a teen. I still have a 96 stratocaster thats pretty beat up that i got in my teens when i started playing and i wish it was in better condition.

• Members

A couple of months back, loading out after a gig one of my guitars slipped out of the gig bag I was carrying it in (didn't do the zip up properly, still feel massivley stupid for doing it).

It faceplanted straight on to the concrete floor, had two very noticeable chips at the tail end as a result. I was pretty gutted at the time, but the damage doesn't really bug me now.

• Members

I'm usually a bit gutted the first few times a guitar gets a ding, particularly if it's bad enough to see without knowing where to look. The good thing is that my Jazzmaster was already well and truly "reliced" before I got it, and my Telecaster, which was new when I bought it, has had 10 years of gigging and general use, so it's so dinged up already that I'm past caring. There's a couple of acoustics around the house, but they're both pretty beat up too.

My G&L (30th birthday present from my wife) is still pretty much mint, so I'd probably be annoyed if I damaged that. If I did it in some stupid way at home I'd probably be more pissed than if I did it in the middle of a gig.

Archived