Reverb Pedals vs Amp Reverb

comrade_jon

• Members

I really like the reverb tank on my AC30, and I have a reverb pedal but it's a {censored}ty Behringer and I'm sick of it, sounds fake in every setting.

Anyone got any recommendations, or do they think I should just rid myself of the pedal and roll along with the AC30's? I'm not doing anything especially weird or heavy with it.

• Members

If you're looking for the most 'natural' sounding reverb, you're not gonna beat the amp circuit. But I also use a Spring Chicken for really trashy {censored} because it holds together way better than the amp does if the reverb is cranked.

Right tool for the job and all that. :thu:

• Members

If you're looking for the most 'natural' sounding reverb, you're not gonna beat the amp circuit. But I also use a Spring Chicken for really trashy {censored} because it holds together way better than the amp does if the reverb is cranked.

Right tool for the job and all that.
:thu:

:thu:

• Members

Depends.

I like my reverb to be huge, lush, and anything but subtle. So out of the reverbs that I've owned, I preferred these 3 the absolute best:

RRR, Blue Sky, Holy Grail.

The Holy Grail had a really thick sound, and was perfect for my ambient/drone-ish stuff I was doing.

The RRR just flat-out sounded the best of the 3. :thu:... natural, organic; didn't sound digital and/or metallic. But I only really made use out of Hall mode 1... and I wanted a bit more versatility - modulation, shimmer, maybe presets...

The BSR, while not sounding as natural or organic as the RRR, gave me exactly what the RRR didn't - another preset, more control over the decay, modulation... and I'm loving the shimmer; gives me a new sound I never really had.

• Members

Nice recommendations.

What do people think of the RV-3 then? I just fancy something a bit different reverb wise, and my experience with a few pedals (Verbzilla, my own crappy Behringer one and a couple of others) have been negative

I'm kinda looking for a pedal for the sake of a pedal because I'm not sure what I want the reverb pedal to be doing differently yet. Although I do know I hate plate reverb.

• Members

I swear by my RV-3. The only other reverb that's even come close to bumping my RV-3 off my board if the EHX Cathedral.

Do you use the RV-3 more for clean tones or dirt tones?

I play more clean than dirt, and I found the RV-3 to sound too ringy (for lack of a better description) with clean tones.

• Members

A lot of guys on the surfguitar101 website say the Boss FRV-1 is a worthwhile substitute for a spring tank. :idk:

As for other reverb pedals I've got the EQD ghost echo which to me sounds like a slightly darker Malekko chicklet, but with the added attack control. It's a bit hissy but that can be solved by dialling back the treble on your amp.

• Members

Amp reverb is definitely my preference for spring, although I have heard some pedals that sound just as good (thinking of the Sole Mate)

But for anything else, I'm not sure what I want, I guess. I know that spring reverb isn't necessarily what I want for a little subtle ambience, as one of the things that I like about spring reverb is the way that it reacts to my playing.

I guess I need to try some stuff. The T Rex RoomMate looks (and sounds) great. I think I could have a great time with that. I want to look into other types of 'verb, though (Plate, modulated, etc)

Archived