Best Pedal for Death Metal that has good tone

• Members

I am new here and have been looking for a pedal that will Death Metal/extreme metal type rhythym tones. I normally use high gain amps for this, but trying out some new things. I am looking for a well built pedal that has good tone. Not looking at cheap Boss Metal Zone type pedals. Suggestions?

• Members

+1 on the High Gain Head but there are a few very good pedals that work well for death metal. Here are a few clips i made:

No Waiting Time, semi expensive and very amp like (warm) with a brutal amount of Low End

[YOUTUBE]tkPWbXEMRho[/YOUTUBE]

Long Waiting Time, expensive but probably the most brutal pedal out there, not as warm as the Dominator and offering more extreme settings

[YOUTUBE]tiXeErk4bas[/YOUTUBE]

The Cheap alternative to both above mentioned pedals at 140$

[YOUTUBE]ErFYxScnfU8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm a firm believer that pedals don't do death/thrash/tech/etc metal tones well at all. No pedal will ever sound as good for death metal as a guitar plugged into a high gain head and a 4x12.

Agreed. There are a few pedals that are "good enough" for practicing but I've never played anything I would gig with.

• Members

The problem with saying pedals aren't good enough for death metal, is that's what a lot of death metal is made with. It can't sound too good, too pleasant, gotta be ugly ... a lot of it is getting the notes to come out while still covering it all in distortion, which does depend on how you play. The trick sometimes is a sound where no matter how muddy the guitar signal is, it will pull out some attack. Other than that there are no rules ... Morbid Angel uses Rats, right?

I think the Digitech Metal Master, and the Metal amp in the RPs and the Boss Metal Core, are decent, didn't like the analog Death Metal pedal near as much. Although I only messed with a Metal Zone once about 15 years ago, that was enough to see a lot of possibility of user error with the controls.

There was one thing I heard, some death metal in the MOD tracker format which is multitrack, you can remix it yourself. It was brutal all together but take away the bass and drums and it was the tiniest little thin guitar tone you've ever heard.

Archived