Pedal that makes electric sound like acoustic?

x-ray specs

• Members

I'm looking for a pedal that does a good job of making an electric guitar sound like an acoustic guitar. I've tried the Boss AC-3 and it's not too authentic sounding. Something like the AC-3, but actually makes your electric guitar sound close to a real acoustic guitar would be nice. Thanks for any good recommendations.

• Members

There aren't many out there - in fact the AC-3 is the only one I can think of, other than multi-effects units.

What guitar/pickups/amp did you try the AC-3 with? One of the major problems with acoustic sims is that you're never going to get it to sound like a lovely acoustic guitar when you're playing through a guitar amp. You'd probably find the AC-3 sounds a little more realistic through a PA or an acoustic amp.

Still, I've had moderate success in getting a passable piezo sounds using acoustic sims by using a neck single coil. I find they're slightly more realistic sounding than humnuckers.

• Members

I've found that using phasers where you can turn the rate to 0 can sometimes get you some acoustic-like results due to the weird stationary frequency notch. If you're after authenticity though, nothing is going to beat an actual acoustic.

• Members

I bought a Rogue acoustic electric from Musician's Friend for barely over $100 and it had a Fishman pickup installed. Sure, it doesn't sound nearly as good as my friends' Taylors and Larrivees, but for about the cost of a pedal it sounds better than a pedal. But then you have to have two guitars.

Archived