SOT: Life - Keith Richards..

gae86

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

been hearing about this book for a while now. apparently he has some very disparaging remarks about Mick. but my whole thing is you hated him so much but not enough to keep playing shows for like 300 hundred dollars a seat right; anyway, hope i can check this out at the library--

i have more than a few Stones LPs but i can't say i'm big huge mega-fan. but think Keith Richards is like the coolest. him & Slash i think are the coolest rock dudes ever.

:)

• Members

I'm still where Brian goes nut..I'm loving this book!

Don't spoil it! I'm really looking forward the section about Brian Jones's out of the band and his death, especially Keef's take on it in light of implications he might have been murdered by that grounds keeper? I suspect Keef will say something like "well he kept {censored}ing with people and got it in the end". Great book, like a time capsule of R&B and popular music of that era?

• Members

I'm about 1/3 of the way in - and I dig it. Still in the early years, I can't wait to get to the New Barbarians and X-Pensive Winos bits as that is some of my favorite periods of Keith's work. One of the better muso autobiographies I've read. The Clapton and Summers ones were equally as good, IMO.

What is always the most interesting thing to me is about the London scene in the early '60s is how small and insulated it was and how much of an influence Alexis Corner had on EVERYBODY.

Keef certainly tells it like it was. It's great to read about him and Charlie developing their musical relationship - that to me is one of the greatest single pairings in all of Rock n' Roll.

• Members

Speaking of Charlie, I did not know he was 'the jazz guy' before the band took off? Also I love how Keef was so amazed how these black R&B guys could just go on an on with countless energy night after night. "How do you guys do it man?" "You take one of these, and you smoke one of these". :lol:

• Members

Speaking of Charlie, I did not know he was 'the jazz guy' before the band took off? Also I love how Keef was so amazed how these black R&B guys could just go on an on with countless energy night after night. "How do you guys do it man?" "You take one of these, and you smoke one of these".
:lol:

Yeah - jazz is definitely his first love.

[video=youtube;S3s8JqStYVE]

[video=youtube;IqlM8jT1fFo]

• Members

I'm waiting for the Jimmy Page autobiography...
;)

I'd like to hear about his life - he's so secretive. The IMGL doc was refreshing only because he opened up a little and it was so cool to see him psyched on music in general. I mean {censored} - just the bits of his life in Headley Grange are historic.

• Members

I got the book as a christmas present from my wife, one of the best rock biographies I've read, and I've read a few.

There's a lot of great stories in the book. One of my favorites was the beginning, where he and Ronnie Wood get busted somewhere in Southern USA with a car full of "stuff". They didn't get thrown in jail that time, instead they got a motorcade from the police.

"But what the hell happened to the car? We left it in this garage loaded with dope. I'd like to know what happened to that stuff. Maybe they never took the panels off. Maybe someone's still driving it around, still filled with {censored}.".

• Members

I'd like to hear about his life - he's so secretive. The IMGL doc was refreshing only because he opened up a little and it was so cool to see him psyched on music in general. I mean {censored} - just the bits of his life in Headley Grange are historic.

I totally agree. I think he's in a period of his life where he knows there's not going to be a LZ part two and he's gitty about setting some of the facts straight. Also it seems a bit of an English tradition (if you left your mark in some major way) to write your memoirs later in life, which I bet he will. The only thing is I doubt he'll go into any detail is his fascination with the occult? Not a big deal for me, I just hope he lays out some gear details?

• Members

speaking of Led Zep, is there a book which is seen as the definitive Zep biography?

i remember reading an account of their early days in a magazine and it was engrossing. such an interesting band.

i might pick up the Keef book, i've never been a huge Stones fan but always liked their stuff. the Alan Yentob documentary that was on TV in the summer (Stones in Exile?) was incredibly interesting.

• Members

speaking of Led Zep, is there a book which is seen as the definitive Zep biography?

i remember reading an account of their early days in a magazine and it was engrossing. such an interesting band.

not definitive but if you're gonna read anything about zeppelin you gotta read Hammer of the Gods.

• Members

Don't spoil it! I'm really looking forward the section about Brian Jones's out of the band and his death, especially Keef's take on it in light of implications he might have been murdered by that grounds keeper? I suspect Keef will say something like "well he kept {censored}ing with people and got it in the end". Great book, like a time capsule of R&B and popular music of that era?

I heard it was the butler, in the cloak room with the candlestick.

• Members

I'm a big Stones fan, I've read a few books about them already, I'm dying to get at this on (it's on my self). But I've been reading Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton and it's like 800 pages - it's a great book and I'm determined to finish it.

Archived