Official Vox AC Thread!

• Members

I got a Vox AC15C1 on Friday to replace my Blackstar HT-5. So far I'm loving it and I think this series needs a thread where I can ask questions and people with decent cameras can post sexy pictures :thu:

Onto to the noobish questions:

I get significant noise the higher I turn up the MV is this normal?

What pedal should I use to get more Marshall gain? Bad Monkey? Or should I go full monty and buy a DLS?

What pedals do you guys like with this amp? And what sound do you use them for?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just bought a Handwired ac15 with an alnico blue, DAMN sexy amp, I initially went to the store to buy the ac15C1 but the Handwired was just 200dlls more, I just couldnt resist :facepalm:

I love this amp, I'm still playing with the chanel jumping

• Members

Gassing hard for an AC15. You AC15 guys, how does it handle dirt? I know Thrice makes them breathe fire, so . . . yeah . . .

The CC1 stock is terrible with dirt because of the bright cap, though that's an easy mod. The C1 doesn't have that issue though, from what I've heard- so if you get a new one you'll be fine stock. As far as Thrice tones go- I got to play Teppei's AC30 earlier this year, and I can pretty much confirm that his dirt sound is basically just his Vox absolutely cranked. If that's what you're going for then you won't be let down.

But as for pedals, I've used Muffs, Rats, Fuzz Faces and plenty of ODs and my AC15 has handled them all great.

• Members

Big fan of my AC15c1. I use several things for dirt, although I like it cranked on its own too. I prefer using my Tele on the normal channel, MV not too high and the volume at about 1 oclock. Just on the verge of breakup. I find the SHOD is a great match with it, just adds more to a good thing, without changing the tone much. When I want more gain and compression then I have a LGW for that. I also have the Mad Prof MRD, but I'm finding I don't use it that much, might sell/trade it soon. The LGW almost has as much gain, so the MRD is redundant. I like a fuzz face with this amp, and have used a couple, and want to add a Dunlop JH-F1 fuzzface soon. It was not a good match for my Musket, haven't tried other muffs yet. I might give the classic EHX Big Muff a chance.

I would also think a good boost like the MP Ruby Red Booster would be good for boosting the amp while keeping the basic tone of the amp intact too.

I like single coils in the normal input channel, and humbuckers in the boost channel, so I can lower the bass and clean up the mud better. I would like to try a A/B/Y switch soon, so I can drive both channels simultaneously, or a/b them with one quick switch. I also like the Reverb and tremolo a fair amount too. A lot of amp for not a lot of money.

• Members

Just bought an AC15C1 off ebay, and cant wait to get it! I had played a few AC15's, and never really cared for them, then i walked into a guitar store and there was a red C1 sitting there, and it sounded just great to me, much better than my friends AC30, but i think his is the custom classic series. Dont care for the red tolex, so i bought a black one!

Big fan of my AC15c1. I use several things for dirt, although I like it cranked on its own too. I prefer using my Tele on the normal channel, MV not too high and the volume at about 1 oclock. Just on the verge of breakup. I find the SHOD is a great match with it, just adds more to a good thing, without changing the tone much. When I want more gain and compression then I have a LGW for that. I also have the Mad Prof MRD, but I'm finding I don't use it that much, might sell/trade it soon. The LGW almost has as much gain, so the MRD is redundant. I like a fuzz face with this amp, and have used a couple, and want to add a Dunlop JH-F1 fuzzface soon. It was not a good match for my Musket, haven't tried other muffs yet. I might give the classic EHX Big Muff a chance.

I would also think a good boost like the MP Ruby Red Booster would be good for boosting the amp while keeping the basic tone of the amp intact too.

I like single coils in the normal input channel, and humbuckers in the boost channel, so I can lower the bass and clean up the mud better. I would like to try a A/B/Y switch soon, so I can drive both channels simultaneously, or a/b them with one quick switch. I also like the Reverb and tremolo a fair amount too. A lot of amp for not a lot of money.

Excuse my ignorance, but SHOD?

• Members

I own an AC30cc2 and absolutely love it. I mainly use the normal channel and drive it with an MI Audio Blues Pro, or an EHX Big Muff with tone wicker which sounds very nice through it. Anybody like running a fuzz face with theirs? May be buying one soon.

• Members

AC30s are pretty much all I'll play anymore. They're fantastic amps, I love my AC30H2 and if I got rid of it, it'd only be for another AC variant.

hottie.jpg

Hey Tom, how are you using both channels? do you keep one dirty and the other one clean or are you jumpering them?

Archived