No announcement yet.

OT: Just booked a flight to New Orleans

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Just booked a flight to New Orleans

so in a moment of randomness my girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to New Orleans at the end of March.
    We decided to fly there for a few days, rent a car and drive east towards Florida and then fly home after a few more days.

So my question is, what are some good things to do in;
    A: New Orleans?
    B: Gulf Coast, Biloxi, Mobile areas?

any cool places to eat?

thanks dudes.
    ---
    Tone Machines: vintage effects blog
    http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/

I liked Biloxi more than NO. That being said, the last time I was there was before Katrina, so I have no idea what has changed.

The D-Day Museum in NO was awesome though. I think French Quarter Festival is in late March too, so get ready to see a lot of weirdos.
    He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally Posted by Dolf

Decode: saying the things you wish you could say but you have tact.

Good deals with: I forget

Strat>LTD SR>Verbzilla>DT-10>VT-22

For Sale: OHNOHO Chk Chk Boom ($40)

Comment

If you are going to hang out in the quarter go down to Frenchman instead of Bourbon some of the time. So you will be done there for Mardi Gras? I'll be down there then too! There will be some weird parades and stuff going on in general, lots of cultures mixed, Zulu to French to English. Go by Skullyz Records, they have tons of great stuff. It is just a hole in the wall, extremely small but have some great guys who work in there, a fantastic stock and several special edition items. Get some Absynthe at the Absynth House, again it is just a little hole in the wall and a tourist trap but the Absynthe is cool and tons of famous people have drank there like Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Robert E. Lee, etc. (it is a couple hundred years old). There is a tiny book store where Faulkner wrote A Soldiers Pay and lived on Pirate's Alley. There isn't much there but if you are a Faulkner fan like me it's cool. Jackson Square is neat on the weekends when it is filled with artists/street performers and the cathedral is beautiful as well. Royal Street in the quarter has some wonderful art galleries, then there are also street performers there and one street down on Decatur, everything from tap dancers to ventriloquists to musicians. A lot of times there is a great violinist there who can play any style he may not know the song but he can nail the genre/artist and he is a great improviser from Paganini to Bebop. There is also a duo on Jackson Square a lot of times with a female violinist and a male accordian player that are really cool. If you are going to go Cafe Dumonde like a lot of people do, do not wait in the line! Walk right past everyone (it'll be a block long) go into the entrance under the canopy right off the main street and into the indoors part. There are a few tables in there and are always at least one available and you won't have to wait an eternity for a couple of beignets with coffee. There are plenty of tours to go on from the swamps to plantations to cemetaries and history everywhere you look. You can ride a streetcar down St. Charles in the Garden District and see a lot of cool homes. There are a few guitar shops but to be honest I haven't ever spent much time there.

What hotel will you be staying at? I usually stay at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon but there are tons of decent places. As far as food goes again there are virtually limitless great places. Petunia's was my favorite breakfast spot but they closed a year or 2 ago. Brunch at a Court of Two Sisters is cool and good for a late start on Sunday. I like a lot of the older restaurants in the Quarter but tons of people knock on them now (like Galatoire's), I've ate there since I was a kid going to the French Market though so they bring back memories. Coop's is a great place and the blackened redfish is amazing! The French Market nowadays is just a junk flea market but back when I was younger there were a lot of cool produce places with some great food around.

Driving along the gulf coast might be a little uneventful... When you are heading out of New Orleans though there are some neat bridges and scenery. I don't really ever do anything down there except sell produce and visit friends. Bayou La Batre is cool though and quite a great place for pictures, in Forrest Gump that is where Bubba is from. There are some Civil War Era forts in Alabam on Dauphin Island and the Mobile area. James (Bass_Econo) is from there so he might can help you out more with that area.

I love going down to New Orleans, I have went a couple times a year for years now and have lots of friends. The food, people and scenery are quite unique and I really love the city, although it isn't like it was before Katrina. If you haven't ever been there I imagine it will seem really eccentric to begin with. Like I said earlier there is so much history, it is all around you and virtually everything in the Quarter has a story to tell. Research the area where you will be staying and read up on stuff before you go, the people I have took always have a better appreciation for the city when they do. Don't be expecting a lot of "jazz" or the like on Bourbon, even if it says jazz it will more than likely be covers from the last 40 years of classic/soft rock, blooz ala Clapton and/or top 40 dj'd stuff. There is some good music around but it isn't as easy to find as you would think. Check One Eye'd Jacks, they have some good stuff in there occasionally. Then if all else fails go to Harrahs and gamble/drink.
      Originally Posted by EL KABONG

Sometimes I plug in and it just sounds TOO GOOD and I cant handle it for some reason, so i just have to unplug.

Originally Posted by Zachman

yup you're right, I'm wrong... Happy?

Comment

if you like some ragtime, definitely check out preservation hall... one of the funnest bands i've ever seen perform
        Originally Posted by cryptosonic

Sixteen buttholes, eleven dicks, two dozen vaginas and multitude nipples. Sex parts as far as the eye can see...

Originally Posted by TravvyBear

Ever took a ****************, then looked at it and realized you could take that much dick?

Comment

if you like some ragtime, definitely check out preservation hall... one of the funnest bands i've ever seen perform

When Preservation Hall has stuff going on, it's a good place to be.

Comment

If you are going to hang out in the quarter go down to Frenchman instead of Bourbon some of the time. So you will be done there for Mardi Gras? I'll be down there then too! There will be some weird parades and stuff going on in general, lots of cultures mixed, Zulu to French to English. Go by Skullyz Records, they have tons of great stuff. It is just a hole in the wall, extremely small but have some great guys who work in there, a fantastic stock and several special edition items. Get some Absynthe at the Absynth House, again it is just a little hole in the wall and a tourist trap but the Absynthe is cool and tons of famous people have drank there like Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Robert E. Lee, etc. (it is a couple hundred years old). There is a tiny book store where Faulkner wrote A Soldiers Pay and lived on Pirate's Alley. There isn't much there but if you are a Faulkner fan like me it's cool. Jackson Square is neat on the weekends when it is filled with artists/street performers and the cathedral is beautiful as well. Royal Street in the quarter has some wonderful art galleries, then there are also street performers there and one street down on Decatur, everything from tap dancers to ventriloquists to musicians. A lot of times there is a great violinist there who can play any style he may not know the song but he can nail the genre/artist and he is a great improviser from Paganini to Bebop. There is also a duo on Jackson Square a lot of times with a female violinist and a male accordian player that are really cool. If you are going to go Cafe Dumonde like a lot of people do, do not wait in the line! Walk right past everyone (it'll be a block long) go into the entrance under the canopy right off the main street and into the indoors part. There are a few tables in there and are always at least one available and you won't have to wait an eternity for a couple of beignets with coffee. There are plenty of tours to go on from the swamps to plantations to cemetaries and history everywhere you look. You can ride a streetcar down St. Charles in the Garden District and see a lot of cool homes. There are a few guitar shops but to be honest I haven't ever spent much time there.

What hotel will you be staying at? I usually stay at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon but there are tons of decent places. As far as food goes again there are virtually limitless great places. Petunia's was my favorite breakfast spot but they closed a year or 2 ago. Brunch at a Court of Two Sisters is cool and good for a late start on Sunday. I like a lot of the older restaurants in the Quarter but tons of people knock on them now (like Galatoire's), I've ate there since I was a kid going to the French Market though so they bring back memories. Coop's is a great place and the blackened redfish is amazing! The French Market nowadays is just a junk flea market but back when I was younger there were a lot of cool produce places with some great food around.

Driving along the gulf coast might be a little uneventful... When you are heading out of New Orleans though there are some neat bridges and scenery. I don't really ever do anything down there except sell produce and visit friends. Bayou La Batre is cool though and quite a great place for pictures, in Forrest Gump that is where Bubba is from. There are some Civil War Era forts in Alabam on Dauphin Island and the Mobile area. James (Bass_Econo) is from there so he might can help you out more with that area.

I love going down to New Orleans, I have went a couple times a year for years now and have lots of friends. The food, people and scenery are quite unique and I really love the city, although it isn't like it was before Katrina. If you haven't ever been there I imagine it will seem really eccentric to begin with. Like I said earlier there is so much history, it is all around you and virtually everything in the Quarter has a story to tell. Research the area where you will be staying and read up on stuff before you go, the people I have took always have a better appreciation for the city when they do. Don't be expecting a lot of "jazz" or the like on Bourbon, even if it says jazz it will more than likely be covers from the last 40 years of classic/soft rock, blooz ala Clapton and/or top 40 dj'd stuff. There is some good music around but it isn't as easy to find as you would think. Check One Eye'd Jacks, they have some good stuff in there occasionally. Then if all else fails go to Harrahs and gamble/drink.

Went to NOLA last year. My fiance' is from there.
            I took my guitar with me & got to play on Bourbon St.
            Played with "Guitar Slim Jr." & the "Fats Domino" Rythm section.
            That is the "highlite" of my musical tenure.....all 30 years of it ...
            Check out "Frenchman", check out "The Quaters".
            Check out "Donna's", "Funky Butt", "Howlin Wolf".......GREAT CLUBS !
            The food, the music, the people.....NOLA CHANGED MY LIFE !!

(trying to transfer on my federal job to the NOLA office)
            "I don't flatten my 5th's..........I drink em !"
            "The Mighty Telecaster: The "Polygraph" Of Electric Guitars!"

Comment

Commander's Palace is a great place to eat! now it is 'dining', some guys, esp younger guys or guys on a budget might not be into it

Coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde (the powered sugar is everywhere...I mean everywhere) is sort of required and will get you through a hangover you will likely have.

you really do want to check out the d-day museum

Comment

any cool places to eat?

---

If you have never been, get ready to rethink food... I could go for some nice
                FOR SALEBruno Royal Artist 12 string hollowbody $525Tapco 6000R spring reverb mixer

Comment

How is New Orleans doing nowadays? I read somewhere that it was still (or parts of it at least) in a pretty sad state 2-3 years ago.
                  My avatar is Lars, no one has PM'd me.

Pedal store (for EU dudes especially):
                  http://www.custom-sounds.com

Music:
                  http://www.myspace.com/internationalspacecenter

Comment

How is New Orleans doing nowadays? I read somewhere that it was still (or parts of it at least) in a pretty sad state 2-3 years ago.

Up/down. Best/worst. Specifically/Etc.

Comment

wow!
                      thanks for all the info guys.
                      I will be (attempting to) check everything out that was suggested.
                      I really do appreciate it.
                      Tone Machines: vintage effects blog
                      http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/

Comment

i like new orleans a lot most of the time. i went there last year and got dumped (sort of) and spent three or four days getting blind drunk from morning till night while my (ex) lady friend ****************ed some other dude in the house i was staying in. it's a great place for stuff like that.

on other visits though, the ****************ing food has changed my life. so good. make sure to get out of the french quarter. find some restaurants or bars in other parts of town to go to. it's really cool and there are a lot of really cool people. there's an amazing record store there called domino sound. like, really amazing. if you're into vinyl. really worth checking out almost no matter what kind of music you like.

also, be careful walking around. make sure you know where you're going and how to get there and that it's safe. neighborhoods can change really fast there and get really really sketchy before you even notice. i've always felt safe when i'm there and with people who live there and know where to go and where not to go. but really bad **************** can go down if you end up in the wrong place. a friend of many of my friends was shot in the head for no real reason last year just because she rode her bike through the wrong neighborhood. she was from out of town and just made a mistake.

Comment

Check out local shows. the music scene is sweet there. (caddywhompus/sun hotel)
                          Sell me you Big Box DMM!!!

Good Deals: Manchester, spacecaptain21, jkokura, baybruin, robjrussel, itsallinmyh3ad, KingdomGuitar, Fart Murphy, craigory45, roaring20's

Comment

a friend of many of my friends was shot in the head for no real reason last year just because she rode her bike through the wrong neighborhood. she was from out of town and just made a mistake.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I'm not saying that did not happen, just surprised, and sorry. I bike everywhere and my studio/rehearsal space is in pretty bad area of town and I'm sometimes swerving a bit on the ride back (haha!) through these neighborhoods and nothing of note has ever happened.

But he is correct. Don't wander aimlessly. There are definitely areas of town to not be walking through at night aka the rumor has always been the police don't even go there. Grain of salt/take

Comment

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I'm not saying that did not happen, just surprised, and sorry. I bike everywhere and my studio/rehearsal space is in pretty bad area of town and I'm sometimes swerving a bit on the ride back (haha!) through these neighborhoods and nothing of note has ever happened.

But he is correct. Don't wander aimlessly. There are definitely areas of town to not be walking through at night aka the rumor has always been the police don't even go there. Grain of salt/take

Yeah I haven't ever had issues but be mindful, don't just get loaded and start walking off without thinking. The quarter can kind of get you turned around if you aren't familiar with the place, it took me awhile to be as familiar with everything as I am but I have went for years now. If you do find yourself somewhere and aren't sure how to get back just look for the buildings in downtown and walk towards them. They are visible everywhere in and/or around the quarter, you will eventually figure out where you are. It is amazing how so much diversity can be in such a small area.

As others have said too the food is out of this world, there is none better, it just doesn't exist. It is literally a low level sin.

Also, just to be clear my earlier post was centered around someones first trip and did include a lot of tourist type things but really they are quite interesing and you will have a great time! Bon temp roulle!
                              Originally Posted by EL KABONG

Sometimes I plug in and it just sounds TOO GOOD and I cant handle it for some reason, so i just have to unplug.

Originally Posted by Zachman

yup you're right, I'm wrong... Happy?

Comment

Working...
                              X