OT: Just Starting to read Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once upon a time, there was an insane father of 3 teenage sons.

In his madness, he rendered one of the sons blind and deaf, but left him with the gift of speech.

He rendered the second son blind and mute, but left him with the gift of hearing.

He rendered the third son deaf and mute, but left him with the gift of sight.

He then locked the 3 sons to starve in a vast room with only a telephone. The telephone only made the sound of screaming. But screaming as long and as loud as possible into the telephone would free the sons from the vast room.

Given those conditions, would the 3 sons figure out how to be free, and how?

• Members

I'll come clean, I've read about the ideas but not kurzweil's book

Well, the idea that the singularity will just happen and there's no need to make any effort to ingratiate ourselves with technology is frankly IMO a recipe for lazy stagnation

There are already improvements technology would allow us to make to the human body but nobody's interested, all effort is put into repairing people back to "normality" with no motivation anywhere for improvements for the mainstream

If we can restore sight digitally to the blind imagine what we could do to the sighted

• Members

I'll come clean, I've read about the ideas but not kurzweil's book

Well, the idea that the singularity will just happen and there's no need to make any effort to ingratiate ourselves with technology is frankly IMO a recipe for lazy stagnation

There are already improvements technology would allow us to make to the human body but nobody's interested, all effort is put into repairing people back to "normality" with no motivation anywhere for improvements for the mainstream

If we can restore sight digitally to the blind imagine what we could do to the sighted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kurtweil's concept is not that it will happen whether we try or not, in a destiny sort of scenario, but rather that the exponentially advancing technology society at some point will demand it. The point at which the human brain can no longer keep up with the speed of advancement nor skill required to operate/wield it is the point at which the singularity must occur in order to continue with the advancement of our civilization. If we look at the decreasing age of digital "acceptance" (my 5 year old can operate a mouse and plays video games yet can't read yet) and the increases in artificial intelligence and robotics, one can only imagine society in a generation or two...

• Members

The age-old discussion of every new technology is ethical application. Technological advancements are already faster than our ability to democratically process the ethical evaluation of the consequences.

• Members
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kurtweil's concept is not that it will happen whether we try or not, in a destiny sort of scenario, but rather that the exponentially advancing technology society at some point will demand it. The point at which the human brain can no longer keep up with the speed of advancement nor skill required to operate/wield it is the point at which the singularity
must
occur in order to continue with the advancement of our civilization. If we look at the decreasing age of digital "acceptance" (my 5 year old can operate a mouse and plays video games yet can't read yet) and the increases in artificial intelligence and robotics, one can only imagine society in a generation or two...

Well said :thu:

• Members

If we look at the decreasing age of digital "acceptance" (my 5 year old can operate a mouse and plays video games yet can't read yet) and the increases in artificial intelligence and robotics, one can only imagine society in a generation or two...

This is related to my line of profession. I teach other teachers how to teach technology to children (yes, I know :facepalm:)

I struggle to help older generations make mental connections between processes. And they are frustrated that children make the random connections faster than they can.

• Members

I don't see that there's any ethical difference between using technology to restore sight to mainstream levels and using it to improve it

Sorry, I was expounding into a larger topic. I assumed that you were talking about a kind of Gattaca scenario where only the rich could genetically or technologically have access to perfect vision.

Where are you seeing resistance to improving sight through technology?

• Members

Haven't read that book, but I have been excited about the singularity and post-humanism for almost a decade. Accelerando is an awesome novel that examines some of the future tech that may change our very world view. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is also pretty great with that kind of stuff. Personally, I'm looking forward to having an exocortex.

• Members

Haven't read that book, but I have been excited about the singularity and post-humanism for almost a decade.
Accelerando
is an awesome novel that examines some of the future tech that may change our very world view.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
is also pretty great with that kind of stuff. Personally, I'm looking forward to having an
exocortex

I never finished reading Neuromancer, and really should, though it's a bit outdated now. I love the first Ghost In The Shell movie, but never saw Stand Alone Complex. I'll have to check that out too.

• Members
Once upon a time, there was an insane father of 3 teenage sons.

In his madness, he rendered one of the sons blind and deaf, but left him with the gift of speech.

He rendered the second son blind and mute, but left him with the gift of hearing.

He rendered the third son deaf and mute, but left him with the gift of sight.

He then locked the 3 sons to starve in a vast room with only a telephone. The telephone only made the sound of screaming. But screaming as long and as loud as possible into the telephone would free the sons from the vast room.

Given those conditions, would the 3 sons figure out how to be free, and how?

All 3 of them could communicate with each other using sign language. :idk:
Helen Keller could, and she was blind and deaf.

The question is; how would any of them know that screaming as loud as long as possible into the phone would set them free?

• Members

All 3 of them could communicate with each other using sign language.
:idk:

a tactile communication society is explored sci-fi classic "The Persistence of Vision" (it's a short, or maybe novella) IIRC won both he Nebula and the Hugo that year

though since the protocol of a language may not have been set up (a language uses abstract symbols) a more directly representational strategy (tactile/ kinesthetic demonstration) would probably be in order.

Alternatively, a maybe more negatively -- Volition isn't always required for execution. One could just need to pose the brother with speech with the telephon and then...well there all kinds of ways to make someone scream.

but read Persistence, it's a short story, but is a classic for a reason

• Members
All 3 of them could communicate with each other using sign language.
:idk:
Helen Keller could, and she was blind and deaf.

The question is; how would any of them know that screaming as loud as long as possible into the phone would set them free?

Only the brother with the gift of sight could recieve sign language.

Only the brother with the gift of hearing could hear the screaming telephone.

• Members

Only the brother with the gift of sight could recieve sign language.

Why? Helen Keller was blind and deaf and yet could communicate with sign language. If the brothers can still feel things they should be able to communicate with sign language.

• Members

I haven't read Ray Kurzweil's book but I've done a lot of other reading on the subject, including a lot of interviews with Ray. He is definitely an interesting individual, to say the least.

Anyway, rather than typing out an essay on my current view on the subject of singularity, I'll post links to someone else doing so:

http://andrewhickey.info/2010/08/30/geeks-dig-metaphors-introduction/

http://andrewhickey.info/2010/08/30/geeks-dig-metaphors-the-technical-problems-with-the-singularity/

http://andrewhickey.info/2010/08/30/geeks-dig-metaphors-the-politics-of-the-singularity/

http://andrewhickey.info/2010/08/30/geeks-dig-metaphors-paradigm-a-dozen/

• Members

whats the answer to the riddle, cause i'm bored

or is it that they reach their own singularity... just after time of sitting in a room the guy with sight watches the hearing brother walk over to the phone, which peaks his interest, so he picks it up while dragging mr mouth over... smashes the mouth man on the forehead with it making him scream into the phone and ta da... rescue.

• Members

also...

what if chasing the singularity is infinite?

if we only use a small percentage of our brains... why doesn't our better technology figure out how to use 100%. Then all of a sudden no technology can be better than the human mind.

M5438.jpg

One day you will evolve beyond your physical body and on that day, I hope you will pick up the phone...

Archived