Do you claim yourself as a dependent on your tax return?

driverhasabomb

• Members

My friend asked me about this and I figured I could do a quick google search and find an easy to understand answer for him... HOLY {censored} there seem to be a lot of people out there who think they can claim themselves as a dependent. It amazes me the government lets people do their own taxes.

I think it's a crock of {censored} I can claim my g/f as a dependent but I can't claim head of household status :(

• Members

Fortunately, I get free tax help with my current job, because my tax situation if {censored}ED UP!

I live and work overseas as a Gov't contractor, which means I'm tax exempt (except FICA), I am common-law married to a foreigner, I paid a {censored}-ton of money for my Masters degree, plus interest on my undergrad student loans, plus investment. I'm just going to bring all my tax forms and cross my fingers.

• Members

Fortunately, I get free tax help with my current job, because my tax situation if {censored}ED UP!

I live and work overseas as a Gov't contractor, which means I'm tax exempt (except FICA), I am common-law married to a foreigner, I paid a {censored}-ton of money for my Masters degree, plus interest on my undergrad student loans, plus investment. I'm just going to bring all my tax forms and cross my fingers.

How much did you pay in tuition?

I ended up paying like $6100 for the year for being a full-time student and ended up getting a ton back.

Archived