to effects loop or not to effects loop

thenoob

• Members

ok - what to do? my new lonestar has an effects loop but should I use it?

how exactly does an effects loop work? does it put the pedals after the preamp and before the rectifier?

do od/dist pedals sound better out of the effects loop & modulation sound better in?

give me all the deets as I don't have enough cables to try it out.

• Members

An effects loop places effects after the preamp. It will make your mod effects cleaner I would think, but it's most useful for delays and reverb if you're running the amp overdriven. You (presumably) want to hear your overdriven signal delayed with a dry overdriven signal, not your clean guitar and a delayed clean signal, spat out into the overdrive. That's what a loop is good for...

• Members

You do.

There are a few guys on here who have some stuff in front and some stuff in the loop. I think if I was going to go that way I'd want to put some kind of buffer or something in the loop because that's a lot of cable going on.

I don't think you need a buffer in the effects loop, your signal should be strong enough at that point.

• Members

ok - what to do? my new lonestar has an effects loop but should I use it?

how exactly does an effects loop work? does it put the pedals after the preamp and before the rectifier?

do od/dist pedals sound better out of the effects loop & modulation sound better in?

give me all the deets as I don't have enough cables to try it out.

just for the record, the rectifier is not part of the signal chain. it is the component in the amp that converts the power from AC to DC. amps run on DC and the outlet supplies AC. the effects loop puts the effects after the preamp but before the power amp. otherwise, it seems like you've got it.

• Members

I did the four-cable thing for awhile and felt like I had a ton of signal loss once everything was plugged in.
:idk:

Did you run any buffers in front of the amp? The amp typically changes your signal to low impedance ones it leaves the effects loop, I could be wrong... it also depends on the length of your signal in the loop, but it would have to be really long....

• Members

ahhhhh - so when I am using pedals in front of channel 1 (super clean) then thats ok.. but if I want to use my second channel overdriven I don't want delay, reverb, etc before that.

I think I get it?

You certainly do. :thu:

And while we're at it, parallel loops are no more complicated than series - They just incorporate a mixer if you want to set your effects 100% wet and have more/higher fidelity control over the dry/wet mix. Some people have problems with them because 100% on the mix doesn't function the same as a series loop on some amps...

• Members

my brain just exploded - say what now?

You certainly do.
:thu:

And while we're at it, parallel loops are no more complicated than series - They just incorporate a mixer if you want to set your effects 100% wet and have more/higher fidelity control over the dry/wet mix. Some people have problems with them because 100% on the mix doesn't function the same as a series loop on some amps...

• Members

i don't believe you have effects loop control per channel.

so i'm assuming you don't use od/dist pedals? or if you do - those would be pre effects loop?

With my Roadster I put reverb/delays/chorus and phasers in the loop. It gives me a lot more control this way. Can you bypass the FX loop for each channel on a Lonestar?

This is a really great features on some Mesa like mine.

• Members

i don't believe you have effects loop control per channel.

so i'm assuming you don't use od/dist pedals? or if you do - those would be pre effects loop?

Yeah I use OD/dist in the front of the amp. Since my amp has 4 channels and I can choose on with channel

the FX loop is active, I can keep a channel dry(fx loop off) while the other are wet. So I can go from a clean tone

with phaser and delay, to the dry distortion channel just by using the amp footswitch. I like this very much!

• Members

thats teh sex

Yeah I use OD/dist in the front of the amp. Since my amp has 4 channels and I can choose on with channel

the FX loop is active, I can keep a channel dry(fx loop off) while the other are wet. So I can go from a clean tone

with phaser and delay, to the dry distortion channel just by using the amp footswitch. I like this very much!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

new question - if i put a volume pedal in the loop will i be able to control volume without adjusting gain from the amp.

because.. if i have it preloop then when i use amp dirt the volume pedal will make the signal less and adjust the gain, right?

but if i put the vp in the effects loop then i can use it as a master volume essential, yea?

• Members

new question - if i put a volume pedal in the loop will i be able to control volume without adjusting gain from the amp.

because.. if i have it preloop then when i use amp dirt the volume pedal will make the signal less and adjust the gain, right?

but if i put the vp in the effects loop then i can use it as a master volume essential, yea?

Yeah that's right.

Archived