Which echodrive?

Lane16

• Members

I plan on getting a sib echodrive for a slapback effect to warm and fatten up my tone. I read the blues get muddy when delaying, but mine would barely being doing much delaying. Which colour of the echodrive would benefit me more then blue or red?

hahahah

I was attempting to make sure you knew what you were getting into in terms of price-point, and Brad was attempting to make sure you knew there were plenty of other easily obtainable/well-reviewed alternatives to a very specific and pricey unit.

No, I do not know which color Echodrive will "warm and fatten up your tone" best; waiting more than an hour for someone who's tried both the red and blue Echodrives to find your post, read it, then respond - probably a good idea.

Just sayin'.

• Members

I personally wouldn't get an echodrive just to use for slapback

The blue is too expensive, and to use the red for just slapback would be a waste

Erksin would recommend the Analogman AR20DL for slapback (which I would second, using one for that purpose right now)

I would also suggest just about any 80s BBD delay

• Members

I personally wouldn't get an echodrive just to use for slapback

The blue is too expensive, and to use the red for just slapback would be a waste

Erksin would recommend the Analogman AR20DL for slapback (which I would second, using one for that purpose right now)

I would also suggest just about any 80s BBD delay

Yeah - for slapback stuff I actually don't like echoes that are too fat sounding, and I think any AD over 300mS sounds 'late' on the first repeat. The slappers I've liked the most have been the AR20DL, the Arion SAD-1, and the Malekko E300B. I've not tried the Maxon AD-80 which is supposedly the dog's balls for slapback stuff, but I have a hard time believing that it's sounds that much better than the AR20DL. To me, it is the perfect slapback delay.

IMO, what you are paying for with the blue Echodrive is that tube gain stage which is significant. It does sound amazingly good. So I don't think you can look at that pedal as just a simple delay because it's doing more than just that one task. It's akin to an Echoplex in what it does to your sound - a BBD pedal won't give you that.

• Members

Yeah - for slapback stuff I actually don't like echoes that are too fat sounding, and I think any AD over 300mS sounds 'late' on the first repeat. The slappers I've liked the most have been the AR20DL, the Arion SAD-1, and the Malekko E300B. I've not tried the Maxon AD-80 which is supposedly the dog's balls for slapback stuff, but I have a hard time believing that it's sounds that much better than the AR20DL. To me, it is the perfect slapback delay.

I know the AR20DL is discontinued, where does one acquire one?

• Members

Word. Hopefully they're not inflated just because they're discontinued. You tried the DM-3 for slappies?

I tried a DM-3 a long time ago and liked it a lot.

The AR20DL supposedly falls right inbetween a DM-2 and a DM-3 in terms of EQing, so it's warm but still clear and punchy.

Archived