Quitting smoking.

Loobs

• Members

The time has come to do this. I'm 25 and have smoked since I was about 14/15 in various degrees of heaviness. A lot more so in the last 4 or 5 years...anyway, I've had enough and I just threw away my cigarettes and I am gonna make a real effort to do this. How long do the cravings last for? Did you have withdrawal symptoms? I smoke around 10 a day.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a 10 a day smoker aswell, I kept a carton of smokes on top of my fridge for 6 months and it made it easier to quit as they where right there if I wanted one, i cheated a few times but after 2 months the cravings started going away and i gave my carton away to a friend.
I was sick though and its easier to quit when you are sick!

• Members

If I had some lying around then I'd definitely smoke them. Now do you find you don't even want to smoke? The problem is is that I actually enjoy smoking, but I realise that I do need to quit, it doesn't do me any favours obviously, and it's {censored}ing expensive too.

• Members

I quit 6-7 years ago and when I walk into a room where people are smoking I still get cravings. Cravings will never completely stop... avoid places where other people smoke.

So when you see somebody smoking you think, I'd like one?

• Members

I quit 8 or 9 years ago. I had tried and failed a couple of times before using various methods. I finally tried the patch and that worked for me. I also created a little mantra that I repeated ad nasuem in my head "I will never smoke a cigarrette again". After completing the entire patch system, I have never been tempted to smoke. No cravings or anything.

• Members

the cravings never stop so its best to deal with that right away instead of using gum or patches and {censored}

learn how to mentally overcome that craving and you are done, the "physical addiction" part is easy.

even after years and years you will still sometimes suddenly have an overwhelming urge to smoke, long after any physical addiction has gone. Thats the thing you need to overcome.

• Members

I quit 8 or 9 years ago. I had tried and failed a couple of times before using various methods. I finally tried the patch and that worked for me. I also created a little mantra that I repeated ad nasuem in my head "I will never smoke a cigarrette again". After completing the entire patch system, I have never been tempted to smoke. No cravings or anything.

Wow, that's awesome. I'd rather not {censored} around with gum or patches, that just seems like an expensive con to me. How did you metally overcome the craving, Robo? One of my good friends was a heavy smoker and quit cold turkey and he said it wasn't too hard at all. Maybe he had amazing willpower, sometimes I'll smoke around him and he says he doesn't even feel tempted to smoke.

• Members

the cravings never stop so its best to deal with that right away instead of using gum or patches and {censored}

learn how to mentally overcome that craving and you are done, the "physical addiction" part is easy.

even after years and years you will still sometimes suddenly have an overwhelming urge to smoke, long after any physical addiction has gone. Thats the thing you need to overcome.

I totally agree with Robo on this one. I never considered myself a "true" smoker, but it was becoming more than casual for sure. Most of the time I have no cravings for it now, usually the only time is when I'm traveling (by myself) and I've had a few drinks, that's when I want one the most. Otherwise, I'm glad to be rid of this filthy habit really. Expensive, gross, and deadly. But yeah, sometimes it is enjoyable too. Just fight the temptation. In my case, wife and kids helped a lot. Being single you might not see the upside of it, but it's there.

• Members

I totally agree with Robo on this one. I never considered myself a "true" smoker, but it was becoming more than casual for sure. Most of the time I have no cravings for it now, usually the only time is when I'm traveling (by myself) and I've had a few drinks, that's when I want one the most. Otherwise, I'm glad to be rid of this filthy habit really. Expensive, gross, and deadly. But yeah, sometimes it is enjoyable too. Just fight the temptation. In my case, wife and kids helped a lot. Being single you might not see the upside of it, but it's there.

Yeah, it is pretty nasty really. I mean if there were no consequences/risk, I wouldn't want to quit. But I can't smoke my whole life, now is the time to kick it.

• Members

I'm down to about 1 to 3 a day from 20 and if i'm being bluntly honest, i've found it obscenely hard. But absolutely doable. Unless my life explodes within the next couple of weeks, I want to have stopped totally by the end of March, which I feel is a realistic goal. I used gum and an inhalator (ghey) at first and now i'm not using anything. It's actually easier to use nothing.

All I would "advise" is -

Don't drink alcohol for a bit.

The first cigarette of the day is the hardest to get over so if you're going to cut down before you quit, try to put the morning tab off until as late as possible.

If you have nicotine replacement, try not to have any too late in the evening, they can stop you sleeping.

Maybe I just lack willpower or am a gigantic weed, I dunno...

• Members

I quit last September, I was quite a heavy smoker and I thought I would never quit.. But it's possible.

It depends a lot on how hard you want to quit.

I did a lot of mental preparation before, it helps. Start to repeat to yourself everyday that you are not a smoker anymore, and you will start to believe it :)

The key for me was to have around a lot of gums and candy to eat during the "rush" of the first days.. and weeks. Not nicotine stuff but regular sugar candy. I even got addicted to some of it, but it's quite better than tobacco!

Also, skip the night drinking and so for a while..

And think that it will be easier now that you're 25 and smoke 10 a day than when you are 35 and smoke 20.

I have been for 6 months without smoking now, and not much craving for a cigarette, just sometimes and definitively easier than the first day!

Good luck!

• Members

I have been smoking again for about 7 years after quitting for 5 years..I absolutely hate the fact that i smoke..I'm going into the docs today because i found a lump in my chest and to be honest i'm freaking out real bad..At New years i was down to less than 5 cigarettes a day from 1 and a half to 2 packs a day..I'm 43 and have been smoking over half my life off and on..I hate the F#^KING things..But more than that i'm pissed at myself and think why can't i quit these things i have three kids i want to be alive for and yet i'm stupid enough to smoke and give my money away for a product that will kill me and cause me to have a horrible death..I wish they would make them illegal..Truth be told there is no one to blame but myself.

• Members

If you're having trouble read this:

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

I have some friends who really struggled with a bunch of methods/techniques/ideas that had great success using his audio book etc.

Or you could just do like I did 14 months ago and just stop, throw yourself into exercise and enjoy the fact you're not paying to {censored} your body up anymore.

It really is a sodding stupid thing to do, and I speak as someone who smoked for 10 years. It is {censored}ing pathetic. Pull yourself together and realise that if you fail and fall back onto it you're a fool and a weakling and you'll be just fine ;-)

I don't crave or even get envious of people smoking anymore, if anything it just annoys me in beer gardens etc.

Also - try saving your ciggie cash for gear.

Archived