Marshall Guv'nor

• Members

Hi I was wondering if there is a way to tell whether one of these pedals was made in England besides the usual sticker that has the serial # and text. I was contacting a person selling one and he said he didn't know whether or not as the sticker on the pedal was unreadable, so I was wondering if there were other little spec that could let me know that its the england made one. All help is appreciated thanks. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, there were Guv'nors MIK. Frankly I think they sound better than the MIE ones, they're both well made as far as I remember and should both sound great. The Marshall pedals were really, really inspirational, employing some neat stuff for the first time in the given configurations. With that initial pedal lineup, Marshall improved the vocabulary of stomp boxes in general and a lot of very good pedals can trace some significant component arrangements to the roots of the Guv'nor, Bluesbreaker and Shredmaster.

Does it matter especially whether it was made in England or Korea?

• Members

I don't command the kind of authority to tell you which is better or worse, I'm just sharing my opinion that I find them to be at least equal, with the MIK possibly better. But you are definitely right that there were both Made in the UK and made in Korea versions of the original pedals.

I don't know why they messed around with the Guv'nor Plus GV-2 - the addition of the "Deep" knob just muddies the low frequencies unless you dial it completely out, in my experience, and the whole package got a little weaker when they could have just reissued them as they were and had nice, reliably good sounding pedals. The new Bluesbreaker was pretty good, though. I think they've discontinued the whole line now, though, someone else might know more. I had a GV-2 for awhile and it was mildly disappointing. Worked okay as an overdrive but really didn't sound nearly as good as the old Guv'nors when the gain started going up.

• Members

from here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2537254-How-to-tell-if-quot-The-Guv-nor-quot-is-made-in-UK-or-Korea&highlight=mik+guv%27nor

I have one of each and I will compare them (outside of the obvious sticker difference). IIRC there is a difference with the screw for the battery compartment. The English one has a slotted screw, I think the Korean one has a Phillips. I'll check on the weekend.

i could have sworn someone went on to make a thread comparing the two aswell.. i remember something about the english one being less bassy or something?.. :idk:

• Members

With the Bluesbreaker, Drivemaster and Shredmaster the easy way to tell if it's the English or Korean one is the finish of the enclosures are glossy on the English and matte on the Korean. Not sure if it's the same for the Guv'nor though :]

• Members

Alright well thanks for all your opinions but from what it sounds like that it doesn't really matter, and I actually like more bass so maybe the korean one is better anyway. Thanks for the info and help and I'll see what I can find.

Just to clear it up, the problem one is the reissue - GV-2 Guv'nor Plus, the second picture Juri posted. You may like bass, but the way it changes the basic sound of the unit makes it a lot harder to use as a good distortion. The Guv'nor makes a nice OD, but losing the ability to have good distortion is a cryin' shame.

Any of them that are like the first picture Juri posted will sound more or less the same (or at least the differences are minor enough that even the choosy seem not to care all that much) and are awesome. Good luck and have fun.

• Members

Just to clear it up, the problem one is the reissue - GV-2 Guv'nor Plus, the second picture Juri posted. You may like bass, but the way it changes the basic sound of the unit makes it a lot harder to use as a good distortion. The Guv'nor makes a nice OD, but losing the ability to have good distortion is a cryin' shame.

Any of them that are like the first picture Juri posted will sound more or less the same (or at least the differences are minor enough that even the choosy seem not to care all that much) and are awesome. Good luck and have fun.

Sorry I meant that I don't think it will matter between the original English or Korean made. I am for sure not going to get the GV-2 I am only looking for the big box one.

• Members

I had an original big one, not sure if it was glossy or matte... I bought it trying to get a Marshally tone out of my Silverface Twin way back in the day. It did not work... not at all.

What it did do well is running the Guvnor with the gain set kinda low into my 800 combo with the gain set kinda low gave a total sound that was a lot more pleasing to my ears than I could ever get out of just the 800 by itself. It's like it made it more solid and more... ooomph!

I had a GV-2+ for a while... it did some things well. It did a fantastic job of making a Silverface Bassman sound like a real Marshall. Unbelievable job, in fact. I never could get it to sound all that great into any Twins or Voxes but for goosing a Marshall, still did a pretty fine job, esp at lower volumes. And you can get them for silly cheap. I got the entire Marshall pedal board store display with 8 pedals for the trade equivalent of $75 when they discontinued them. The Reflector was a pretty good pedal as well.

Archived