Prescription Electronics

• Members

I've been using a Yardbox for a few years now and am still amazed every time I turn it on. PE stuff is very well built. The only gripe about the Yardbox is the circuit is backwards just like a Tonebender's. This means you can't daisy chain the power. It needs either a separate wall wart or a battery. Sonically, I prefer a battery. Don't forget to unplug the input when not in use (but then why do I own a pedal board?....).

• Members

dude used to call my shop up and bash fulltone repeatedly. apparently the PE guy and the FT guy had some sort of builder's feud. he would call us up and be like "OH YEAH SO HOW'S ALL THAT FOULTONE STUFF DOING?!"

• Members

I have an old swirly Experience pedal (I think that's what it's called) and the fuzz is massive. Good octave, too, and once you get the hang of it, the backward sound is pretty cool. Great pedal.

I have heard some good stuff about the Rx guy, but I have also heard some not good stuff about him.

I think he and Bob Sweet were also feuding (Bob designed the Rx's vibe board), as well; in fact, they had some words either on here or TGP about 10 or so years ago.

Bob Sweet was a class act (and I mean every word of that), RIP.

• Members

I have a PE Yardbox from the older series, blue metallic one

When I was looking for a Tonebender style fuzz, I tried a Colorsound reissue, a Fulltone Soulbender and the Yardbox, which was a favourably priced demo pedal that I could get at a reduced price, so I took it.

I did not like the Colorsound reissue, pretty harsh sounding, liked the Soulbender a lot, but the Yardbox has a wider tonal range (that's the best thing about it, can get really bassy or really trebly or anything in between), on the downside, you need to use it with a battery or with a separate walmart, no status LED and it doesn't feedback, in fact it lacks volume, I never used it much in band or gigs because it just did not cut through, bummer.

• Members

ty very much ohhhh this stuff is like crack to me, this is my crack!

Better than crack crack.

By the way, you can get Rx pedals cheaper from stores, rather than the website.

Try Steve's Music Center in NY, as they are a dealer and usually have them a little cheaper.

• Members

I have a PE Yardbox from the older series, blue metallic one

When I was looking for a Tonebender style fuzz, I tried a Colorsound reissue, a Fulltone Soulbender and the Yardbox, which was a favourably priced demo pedal that I could get at a reduced price, so I took it. I did not like the Colorsound reissue, pretty harsh sounding, liked the Soulbender a lot, but the Yardbox has a wider tonal range (that's the best thing about it, can get really bassy or really trebly or anything in between), on the downside, you need to use it with a battery or with a separate walmart, no status LED and it doesn't feedback, in fact it lacks volume, I never used it much in band or gigs because it just did not cut through, bummer.

Thanks for your opinions!

• Members

The Experience is basically a fOXX tonemachine clone with the swell added.

which is to say that it sounds amazing!

I have the one with the led's now but I used to have a swirly paint one.

there wasn't too much difference in tone, but the swirly paint one was a little darker and slightly more bass heavy.

The experience is definitely one of my favorite fuzzes. Its really thick and the octave is insane.

I have the 1st series of Yardbox too with 3 knobs. That pedal rules!

its crunchy and really great for leads.

I have heard really great things about all of the other pedals too.

:thu:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I think the pedals are just as good as anything else out there. The Experience pedal is pretty cool and sounds good. The univibe is good but you have to dail the sound near max setting to get to unity level.

• Members

I like their RX Overdriver & Yardbox. Never really could get into the Experience pedal. I have an older Yardbox right now that I have socketed the transistors on for experimentation. The Yardboxes are hit & miss, though... I have had maybe 4 or 5 of them over the years, and they have all sounded different. The one I have right now is a bit overly compressed sounding no matter what transistors I have tried in it (the originals are NKT275's x 2, and 1 Sk3722) but I still dig it :cool:

Archived