OT: Whats so cool about Vinyl anyway?

• Members

I mean, I have like 50 records or so, but if I can also have them in MP3 whats so great about keeping the records around?

I used to put them on to fall asleep to which works well because there is only 4-5 songs on a side. But now I have an iphone and i can just do the same deal.

sure, the big jackets are cool and if it is cool color vinyl thats neat looking and all

but otherwise, im not sure what im keeping this stuff around for, except for the 'rare' stuff where there is cool music that only comes on vinyl

P.S. i hate double 12" albums because then there is only 2-3 songs on side and that is annoying

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OH YEAH, lets not discuss sound quality, I am not an audiophile, so thats not a concern to me personally.

anyways, over the last year or two in buying vinyl, i buy certain music on vinyl because it seems cool to listen on vinyl, other music i would just get the CD instead. just depends

• Members

It's the experience for me. It keeps my attention.

It's too easy to press play in itunes, or whatever, and get distracted by anything else.

With vinyl it's it takes more effort. You really have to want to listen to whatever you put on. And {censored}, if you want to listen to the whole thing you have to get up off your ass to get to side two.

I like that.

• Members

Records suck. One of the weirdest technologies ever...a needle scratching across a plastic disc?
:rolleyes:
No idea why people cling to that {censored}.

CDs suck. One of the weirdest technologies ever...a laser reading data on a mirrored plastic disc? :rolleyes: No idea why people cling to that {censored}.

Hard Drives suck. One of the weirdest technologies ever...a head reading/writing across a ferromagnetic disc? :rolleyes: No idea why people cling to that {censored}.

• Members

CDs suck. One of the weirdest technologies ever...a laser reading data on a mirrored plastic disc?

Hard Drives suck. One of the weirdest technologies ever...a head reading/writing across a ferromagnetic disc?

I lol'd

• Members

Outside of the artwork/inner sleeve, Vinyl does not offer a single advantage.

Vinyl is unwieldy, cumbersome, fragile, and impractical. It was back when your only other option was cassette, and it is today.

The sound quality is superior to digital? Nonsense.

It's an affectation, pure and simple.

• Members

Eh... I'd rather spend $15 on a vinyl that I can keep forever, enjoy the artwork/display, and use the free download that most come with (or just bit torrent it, I really don't feel bad if I've already payed for it on another format). I doubt I'll ever buy another cd...

It's honestly the only way to get me to pay for music... something about paying for a digital download hurts my soul.

• Members

It's the experience for me. It keeps my attention.

It's too easy to press play in itunes, or whatever, and get distracted by anything else.

With vinyl it's it takes more effort. You really have to want to listen to whatever you put on. And {censored}, if you want to listen to the whole thing you have to get up off your ass to get to side two.

I like that.

good post.

• Members

Remember, a lot of stuff nowadays is recorded digitally, so it makes sense to keep the quality of that by transferring to another digital output as opposed to vinyl.

Having said that, vinyl does have a certain sound for it, it is warmer, the artwork is much better and I agree 100000% with MisterSuperfly about paying for digital downloads... especially at the price they charge. Why not buy the CD and mp3 it for the same price?

:idk:

• Members

I think vinyl does sound better than CDs/digital. However, this is only when everything is set up perfectly: clean records, perfectly aligned cartridge, correct tracking force etc etc. However, once you start getting a few bits out of sync the sound quality deteriorates to a level dramatically below CD's and you introduce distortion, crackling and other nasties.

I think nostalgia plays a big part, and it's certainly an experience, but I'm definitely a digital convert and keep a record player for albums I don't own on CD.

• Members

So an accurate reproduction of the master is 'sterile' but a medium that adds noise, distortion and degrades with each use is somehow better?

We are living in a weird world.

Somehow people here love when their guitar sounds like complete {censored}e while they call it heavenly.

• Members

I think vinyl does sound better than CDs/digital. However, this is only when everything is set up perfectly: clean records, perfectly aligned cartridge, correct tracking force etc etc. However, once you start getting a few bits out of sync the sound quality deteriorates to a level dramatically below CD's and you introduce distortion, crackling and other nasties.

I think nostalgia plays a big part, and it's certainly an experience, but I'm definitely a digital convert and keep a record player for albums I don't own on CD.

+1

• Members

We are living in a weird world.

Somehow people here love when their guitar sounds like complete {censored}e while they call it heavenly.

Yea but it's usually desirable for what comes out my amp speaker to sound little like my pickups. But if i'm listening to an album i want it to sound as close to what the mastering engineer heard as possible.

Archived