OLD SKOOL guitar playing in the 50s!!!

Bobby D

• Members

a fan/friend of mine who comes to gigs kept telling me about his dads old guitar, yada yada yada and then i finally went to see it.

come to find out, his dad played in the miltary jazz band in the early 50s, and with Stan Keating jazz band later!

check out these photos!

p7.jpg

that's old school!

scene from wwII movie???

p6.jpg

p1.jpg

this pic is with a brand new 1956 Les Paul GOLDTOP -- it got stolen from him a few years later:

p4.jpg

then he bought this in 1972, it's a 1970 Gibson ES-150D in mint condition with OHSC!

g0.jpg

and a 1965 Ampeg Reverborocket with original tubes AND original NOS tubes as spares from the 60s:

amp3.jpg

dude!

g4.jpg

• Members

yeah...i have seen dozens of vintage gibsons in that color from the early 70s, but the way THAT one has faded to a lighter color and the fading is very even and nice.......it's one of the best looking ones i have ever seen, maybe THE best. and it's damn near MINT!

• Members

a fan/friend of mine who comes to gigs kept telling me about his dads old guitar, yada yada yada and then i finally went to see it.

come to find out, his dad played in the miltary jazz band in the early 50s, and with Stan Keating jazz band later!

check out these photos!

p7.jpg

Dude looks thrilled. :lol:

• Members

military dudes bring teh shred

ALWAYS!

two of those dudes in the miltary band went on to be famous -- one played with Brubeck, and one played with Lawrence Welk for many years. Tony Mingoia, the guitarist, played with Stan Keating, then got a job and only played at home for the rest of his life, didn't want to be in the music biz!

• Members

ALWAYS!

two of those dudes in the miltary band went on to be famous -- one played with Brubeck, and one played with Lawrence Welk for many years. Tony Mingoia, the guitarist, played with Stan Keating, then got a job and only played at home for the rest of his life, didn't want to be in the music biz!

dude, there was some video i saw... air force rock band. the music was pretty cheesy but they were playing tylers and stuff. i wonder if their gear is unit funded.... :lol:

• Members

dude, there was some video i saw... air force rock band. the music was pretty cheesy but they were playing tylers and stuff. i wonder if their gear is unit funded....
:lol:

yes, usually -- it's a pretty good gig to be in one of the military's "show" bands that do top 40, rock, and jazz.....you should go for it!

the ES-175 he is playing in some of the photos up there is awesome -- and the unit he played for wanted to keep it, so he sold it to the unit when he left....that's when be bought the brand new 1956 Les Paul goldtop -- he is fully aware that guitar would be worth about $30 grand right now :( - it's too bad it got stolen, because he would probably still have it NOW!

• Members

i REALLY wanted to crank this up and get some Stones riffs going!

one of these days when Dad's not home, i am gonna go over with some effects pedals and crank up that Ampeg
:)

amp1.jpg

Those amps rule - did you try the click setting when you max out on the trem? BONAR

• Members

Those amps rule - did you try the click setting when you max out on the trem? BONAR

it is a SCARY good amp with a nice trem and verb for SURE.

how about that vintage National amp in the pic??? that thing looks COOL.

i wonder if it was a mate to this guitar?

p3.jpg

ain't that a MAN?????

• Members

Phil -- that one is PRISTINE, with original tubes in it AND MORE original 60s NOS tubes as spares.

i am certainly gonna think about borrowing it for studio work. if i need that raunchy Stones rhythm sound, and got a guitar with some P-90s, that amp is THE TICKET!

i love meeting old military guys, veterans are the coolest! it's nice to listen to the older folks like this, let them tell their stories, and relive some of those days of the Greatest Generation.

Archived