Mumford and sons = flogging molly without the songs?

frenchji

• Members

Truly terrible but a useful band in the sense that as soon as somebody tells me how much they enjoy Mumford and Sons I quickly reach the conclusion we should discuss things other than music!

I'm always suspicious of bands from London dressing like they've just walked off the set of a cowboy film...

• Members

I like them. The Cave is a really well-written song: good tension and dynamics, good vocal harmonies. I've got the album, and it's not a masterpiece... but hell, it's their first album and a lot of the songs are really solid. I think if anything, they've got potential- let's see if they disappear when this "folk revival" trend dies, or if they can transcend the stereotype and become something more. Could go either way, but regardless, it's a lot better than most of the crap that's filling up the pop charts.

• Members

pretty much, basically hipster music with no balls and/or substance. also, why does it sound like the banjo player plays the same thing on every song?

Just listened to a couple of songs and concluded this^

• Members

Maybe I'm jaded being from "bluegrass country" but everyone in that band strikes me as kind of being a noob at playing that style. I think that's why all of the banjo parts sound the same, you hear the same progressions, etc. They're still figuring out how to do the genre.

• Members

pretty much, basically hipster music with no balls and/or substance. also, why does it sound like the banjo player plays the same thing on every song?

Maybe it's just because they're quite popular here in the UK but I don't really consider them 'hipster' more kind of 'music for people who don't really like music but like to think they do.' But yeah, very boring band.

• Members

Maybe I'm jaded being from "bluegrass country" but everyone in that band strikes me as kind of being a noob at playing that style. I think that's why all of the banjo parts sound the same, you hear the same progressions, etc. They're still figuring out how to do the genre.

Sort of what I think.

• Members

I like them. The Cave is a really well-written song: good tension and dynamics, good vocal harmonies. I've got the album, and it's not a masterpiece... but hell, it's their first album and a lot of the songs are really solid. I think if anything, they've got potential- let's see if they disappear when this "folk revival" trend dies, or if they can transcend the stereotype and become something more. Could go either way, but regardless, it's a lot better than most of the crap that's filling up the pop charts.

yeah this is pretty much how i feel. they're alright, not my favorite, but i wouldn't mind hearing another album where hopefully they grow and maybe experiment/branch out some more.

• Members

The guy has a serious gift (twss?) Glad you enjoyed it :thu:

I'm more inclined to agree with you on Mumford, though. Their two singles are essentially the same song. Bass thump on every beat, same rhythmic approach on guitar, same banjo parts...They're more "fresh" sounding to the scene, but gimmicky, if anything else.

Archived