Pedlulz for teh brootz?

thom

• Members

Should have an MI Audio Tube Zone on the way soon, but I'm already looking for something else to put it up against, so I can keep the best one of the two.

Only cheapish one(if you can call it that) I can think of that gets raving reviews and sounds good in the clips I heard: Barber Dirty Bomb. I REALLY should finally try that one out.

Anything else new/obscure out there that wasn't already mensioned in the zillion other "high gain distortion" threads? Only

Cheers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol the BOM sounds so bad.

I have to agree (at least going by that clip).

If you want just heavily downtuned death metal, something like the metal zone will probably work well enough, but if you have ~$350 or so, IMO you'd be much better off getting a used 6505+ 112 combo. Or if you already have a cab, around $500 or so can get you a used 5150/6505 head. And for less, you should be able to get a solid state Ampeg vh140c (either combo or head), which is also a nice amp for metal.

• Members

can't say I've ever heard a pedal that can do a passable metal tone.

For example:

lol the BOM sounds so bad.

Yeah it sounds like they just masked the fizz fest by keeping the mesa in the right speaker and not demo'ing the BOM solo. I agree it's hard for any pedal to come close doing an okay metal tone, they're all kinda fizzy and mimicky...Which is why I don't want to spend $300 on something that'll still sound sound kinda meh. For about half that price though, I'm sure I'll find something that'll do fine for occasionaly {censored}ing up Tool riffs in my living room:)

Guest Guest

Just pick up a used Metal Zone. Why would anyone spend more than $30 on a high-gainer when there exists such a minute disparity between the quality of the Metal Zone and that of the pricier alternatives? No one would be able to tell the difference live, anyway.

• Members

I have to agree (at least going by that clip).

If you want just heavily downtuned death metal, something like the metal zone will probably work well enough, but if you have ~$350 or so, IMO you'd be much better off getting a used 6505+ 112 combo. Or if you already have a cab, around $500 or so can get you a used 5150/6505 head. And for less, you should be able to get a solid state Ampeg vh140c (either combo or head), which is also a nice amp for metal.

I'd just want something to use at home, so 'bang-the-buck' would be the key thing here. If I were a fulltime metal guitarist or at least have a band that's into somekind of brootz, I'd probably go all the way and get me a Diezel or something:)

• Members

Just pick up a used Metal Zone. Why would anyone spend more than $30 on a high-gainer when there exists such a minute disparity between the quality of the Metal Zone and that of the pricier alternatives? No one would be able to tell the difference live, anyway.

True. And I won't even be using it live. So Metal Zone it is. Would've been cool if it were good for other shades of gain like the Tube Zone though. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

• Members

I'd just want something to use at home, so 'bang-the-buck' would be the key thing here. If I were a fulltime metal guitarist or at least have a band that's into somekind of brootz, I'd probably go all the way and get me a Diezel or something:)

OOOOOHH! IDEA!

Grab a used podxt! They go for around 125 I think. That would be by far your best option, tone-wise.

• Members

OOOOOHH! IDEA!

Grab a used podxt! They go for around 125 I think. That would be by far your best option, tone-wise.

Now you mension it, the closest I can come to sounding like I'm playing through say, an Uberschall...Is with the Uberschall preset in GuitarRig 3. It's worth trying to route that to my amp, although I was hoping forward to a new toy, preferably a pedal that could be used for other stuff than just brootalz.

I btw also have this Johnson J-Station, which sucks for anything but blackface cleans. Another amp modeler that'll end up gathering dust would have to be my very last option as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

if you're going to go the metal zone route, i would really encourage you to give the old boss hm-2's a shot. i think they sound better and are pretty cheap. if i remember correctly from other threads, you owned a suhr riot and were not a fan, correct? i have one and think it does a great metal tone, but perhaps we're going for different things. and those are more like $150 used, which is a little above your price range. also, have you tried a wampler triple wreck. i've never even heard one, but i'm interested in wampler pedals and that might do it. i don't even know what those cost.

• Members

i don't even know what those cost.

A lot. 270 new.

Not what I'm personally looking for in a high gainer in a box but it sounds pretty good, Wampler makes good stuff, and Burg makes good demos, natch:

[video=youtube;VBjfEkC2-qo]

• Members

I looked up the {censored} you said and ya, don't sound bad. bit flubby for my tastes. When I think Brootz, I think Devin Townsend. Guy has always had such a huge {censored}in tone.

When I'm in brootz mode, I want the guitar soundscape to sound {censored}in huge.

• Members

mostly i say entombed because when left hand path came out, that album really upped the ante of awesome heavy guitar sounds. it's a hallmark album for metal guitar sound. and i love it of course. it may be a little flubby by modern standards, but it sounds pretty crushing to me. to each their own though.

• Members

I suppose "metal" means something to me then it does to others. I did indeed briefly owned a Suhr Riot, which was great but impo not at all suited for super high gain modern metal stuff. I'm talking downtuned doomy stuff with '90s influences...Like Tool meets Isis meets old school Smashing Pumpkins or something like that. If that makes any sense at all:)

The more I think about it, the more I get convinced that the amp modeler (or some other digital thingy) idea would be my best bet, although I was really set on getting another alround dirt pedal. I only own single coil geetars btw, which seems like a bit of a handicap for the type of tone I'm after.

About the Triple Wreck suggestion: I have a Superplextortion, which is awesome enough for me to blindy trust the Triple Wreck. Too pricey though:(

And to the Devin Townsend reference: I'm not at all a fan, but that tone would definatelly work for me. Tight as {censored} and enough chugga chugga bottom end to kill a small village.

Brootalz or not, that Tube Zone is probably staying. Don't even have it yet, but I'm sure I won't be able to let it go, just like with the last bazillion pedlulz I bought 'just cause I'm curious".

• Members

I suppose "metal" means something to me then it does to others. I did indeed briefly owned a Suhr Riot, which was great but impo not at all suited for super high gain modern metal stuff. I'm talking downtuned doomy stuff with '90s influences...Like Tool meets Isis meets old school Smashing Pumpkins or something like that. If that makes any sense at all:)

p1_u555evbqb_so.jpg

and and eq pedal.

• Members

Other cheaper alternatives are the Rocktron Metal Planet (under $50) and the Hardwire TL-2 ) $100 new. I still have my MP somewhere, I thought it was easily better than the Metalzone. Not a small pedal though. But no noise with this pedal, even with the gain cranked. 2 mids control give you quite a variety of tones.

Archived