Joy Division/New Order Appreciation Thread & Gear Discussion

• Members

Talk about a couple of great bands. Losing Ian Curtis was a shame, but Joy Division would've gone down the route of New Division soundwise anyways.

Anyone know what kind of synths they used? I think a Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory is worth buying just for those Peter Hook sounds love.gif

• Members

I appreciate both bands.

As for the equipment, I found this site a while ago:

http://www.joydiv.org/eqpt.htm

It has some interesting info on it. I seem to remember reading that Barney used a hybrid Vox amp in the Joy Division days, but in the live videos that I posted (and in Stratman's), he's using a Marshall, probably a JMP. I have a hard time picturing that sound coming out of one of those amps, but I guess it could be done. His Shergold Masquerader also had Dimarzio Super Distortions in it.

• Members

My band is actually doing "Ceremony" at a show next Saturday. The singer is playing guitar and I'm just singing - not the first time I've sung on stage sans guitar, but it's been about 12 years.

I really admire their simplicity. I always have to work on pairing back.

• Members

I'm such a moron for selling this. It's much better sounding than the reissue, totally nails the "Closer" album bass sound. This is the version Peter Hook used as well, it does sound better than the one with red lettering.

l.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stratman Tigers View Post
Anyone know what kind of synths they used?
Joy Division used a Powertran Transcendent 2000--a monosynth that Bernard built from a kit--and an ARP Omni II for strings sounds.

In the early New Order days the Omni was replaced with an ARP Quadra, and they relied heavily on Prophet 5s, Emulators, and an Oberheim DMX. They used a lot of other stuff as well, especially later on, but those were the main ones in the early/mid-1980s.

• Members

The first New Order album Movement is the only album that sounds like the same band as Joy Division, at least to my ears. The Factus 8 EP really marks the beginning of New Order IMO.

That said, I love both bands for different reasons. But Technique was the last good New Order album.

Archived